Iva Wiring Query

Guest steve8274

Guest steve8274

hi all

does anyone know if there is a requirement for the horn and side lights to operate when the ignition is off.

just want to clarify before i do them

thanks

steve

Edited by steve8274

Hi

as long as they work when needed.

side lights may be used as parking lights outside of 30mph limits so without ignition, headlights on ignition.

Horn is for warning others whilst driving, I think it is illegal to sound horn at other times so no need to have live all the time.

Never been asked to test lights or horn with ignition on or off.

Regards

Guest steve8274

Can't quite remember off hand but try the IVA manual, we just passed IVA with horn and sides working when ignition is off.

have checked the iva manual but couldnt see anything that helped. if yours passed with both working when ignition off, then should be ok. although testers seem to interpret the manual differently

Hi

as long as they work when needed.

side lights may be used as parking lights outside of 30mph limits so without ignition, headlights on ignition.

Horn is for warning others whilst driving, I think it is illegal to sound horn at other times so no need to have live all the time.

Never been asked to test lights or horn with ignition on or off.

Regards

i understand what you are saying and probably agree. i was confused because my car (peugeot) has its lights and horn operable with ignition off

just wanted to know if anyone had seen something in iva manual which i had missed which clarifies my queries

thanks

steve

I have searched the manual and can't find either mentioned. It seems to be undefined. However there is some regulation not in IVA, perhaps Road Traffic Act or something that does require you to park at night with lights on in certain areas. This would mean the side lights must be operable with ignition off. It is usual practice to have side lights and horn able to operate with the ignition off.

The manual does mention parking lights but these are optional. Front and rear lights on the same side of the vehicle required to be operated with the ignition off.

Nigel