Self Centering

Guest Steve Allen

Guest Steve Allen

Hello everyone

Well one week to go for the SVA and the last problem I have yet to solve is the self centering ofthe steering. I have a 3A and have used independent Tie rods (As per the Dave Andrews website) Due to not being able to get enough Castor Angle I have splashed out and got some made slightly longer, All day today was spent fitting these and suprise still no self centering.

Anyone gotany ideas or have suffered the same problem !

Ps looking down vertically the lower bush is well forward now of the upper one (guess 5% at least) there is now play in the bush while braking but not worried as long as i can get it through the SVA, Agter it can be adjusted.

Steve

Try about 1/16" toe in. If that doesn't work try it at toe out.(on a rear wheel drive car you normally have toe in, on a front wheel drive car you normally have toe out, but Carteringvan recommend toe out for theirs) also put you tyr pressures up a bit (say 25psi)

Guest Steve Allen

Hi Jim

Knew you would come up with an answer.

Jim i have around 1.5 Degrees toe in and the tyre pressure is up to 25,I like your suggestion thought this would work, I have been recently talking to Phil from Cheshire who has his working fine, (can i get mine to work!) I recently sent the car to a rolling road session as i needed the carbs setting for the SVA while it was there he sorted the geometry out for the steering, Driving it home it went well and handled well, very impressed but it still would not self centre, hence why i purchased longer tie rods hoping this would work.

Question. Will altering the toe in more create this !

I did think that by altering the castor it may have thrown out my toe in angle.would this be the case?

Steve

If you've altered the castor, it may have had an effect on the toe-in, I'd check it. I read recently that a caterinvan owner, with similar problems got told by Cm to go to toe-out to help it self centre, he says that it cured it. Must be worth a try.

It's a problem getting any reasonable amount of castor on the mark 3. the early 2B's were similar. Mine makes an attempt to self centre, but nothing like a normal car does.

Guest Steve Allen

Thanks Jim.will give it a go and yes your right, achieveing negative castor on the the 3 series means you have to push and stress the lower bushes. Once I have passed the SVA i will reset as it was as it drove and felt great. Not worried about it self centering. (Hads to the fun when you have to pull it back in line) Voice of an X motorcyclist.

Many Thanks

Steve

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Hi Steve

As you said mine is fine, am running with 1 mm each side of toe out with as much castor as possible ( all the washers at the front ). Tyre pressure for the SVA was as jim recomends 25psi, now reduced to 18 and still seems OK.

Good luck for Tuesday

Phil

Guest Russler

I am not recommending this as a solution, however I was in a similar desperate situation on the morning of my test. I didn't want to elongate the mounted holes in the wishbone mounting position as tricky suggested to increase the castor, and so resorted to some bungee cord. I attached a hook to the steering column and one to the chassis with the bungee cord between the two. When the wheel was turned the cord winds around the column and so when released pulls the wheel straight again. I can't believe the inspector didn't notice! especially as it almost snapped his wrist off when he released the wheel. :rolleyes: , maybe I shouldn't of wrapped it quite so tight but he was very impressed with the cars self centering capabilities. However it even self centered at standstill. :D

I know you will all laugh but I was desperate and it occured to me on the morning of the test, so had to give it a try. Be advised I did remove it once I got round the corner with the certificate, it wasn't to pleasant to drive. :blink:

Guest bugsy
resorted to some bungee cord

Now thats a true Hoodie, bet you wouldnt get a cateringvan owner comeing up with a solution like that, nice one :lol:

it almost snapped his wrist off when he released the wheel.
Fantastic! :D

Guest chris brown

:lol: russler "your a nut case" :lol:

the tester at Norwich said he didn’t expect much self centring but if it gave some indication (easier to straighten than turn) he would be happy