Exmo Design Weights - What Are They?

Guest wmc

I am currently filling in my application for an SVA test and need the front and rear axle weights and the gross weight, before I can send it off and finally get on the road.

I've heard that if you get them too low it is an automatic failure, so want to be definite.

RHE weren't much help, quoting first 159Kg Front 159Kg Rear and 318Kg Gross?!!!!

Then quoting 400Kg Front 550Kg Rear and 318Kg Gross?!

I know I could take it down to a weigh bridge and get it weighed, but a) my nearest is miles away and B) I'd have to insure the car to get it there and back and even then I'm sure it wouldn't be legal to do so.

Help!

Wmc

My car ,which is a 3a,has passed SVA on..........

Axle 1 400kg

Axle 2 550kg

Gross weight 950kg

Hope this helps,I do'nt think a 3a is that much disimilar

to an Exmo,apart from front suspension!!!!

Cheers Ian

Ian,

Thanks for that information, but is the 2B a stainless tub type chassis or is it the tube chassis, because I have a feeling that there will be a difference in the axle/gross weights.

Andy

Andy

I've just reread your topic title

An Exmo is a stainless moncoque

A 3a is also a stainless monocoque

A 2b is a spaceframe stainless/mild steel tubular chassis

with stainless/mild panels

Hope this clarifys things a touch

Cheers Ian

I'm sorry :blink: I was obviously having a blonde moment when I wrote that last reply. For some reason I read 3A as 2B (does anyone understand the logic of the naming convention used by RHE!!)

So, thank you for that info, I will now send my SVA form away and then panic about things I find on my car between now & the test.

Thanks again,

Andy

does anyone understand the logic of the naming convention used by RHE!!)

Yes, perfectly logical! ;)

What was the S7, became the series 1, after Cateringvan threw their toys out of the pram.

Then along came the series 2.

Then came the Exmo. called this because it was designed as the EXport MOdel.

Then came the mark 3.

You could by this kit with a pack of optional extra's, if you did, this became the 3A.

.............................................................................................................

Now the world of Hoodies took a air of gloom. SVA was due, RH's licence for producing monocoque cars was up for renewal., so he decided to stop making '7' type cars! :boohoo: and then produced the 'Kaig' Soon it was realised that a cheap '7' type was still wanted, and thus was born the............tube chassis '7' known at the factory as the "Tubey" which became......................

The Sliding pillock 2B. This started to get modified by people who weren't impressed by the front suspension, and the wishbone modification (now at RS Jigtec) was overwhelming the small engineering Co that first brought it out, in fact at one point it was taking over 12 months to get the stuff after placing your order, that's when RS Jigtec took over production of it.

Of course RHSC saw that wishbones was the way to go, and brought out the Wishbone 2B

This became the 2B plus, when you bought the whole 'add on' package as well.

The Sub K came along because RHSC wanted to be able to produce a kit for under £1k, and the original mild steel Sub K was.

Now this kit, has become the 2B/04 in the stainless panelled form. (which then took the price over £1k)

The 2B plus is now the only way that you can get the wishbone chassis, but you have to buy the whole package of extra's as well.

The superspec and The lightweight are fairly obvious names.

so there you go, most logical! ;) :)

(Personally, I don't care what they call them, Long live RHSC and all whole 'sail' in them!!)

Guest Andy Rathbone
(Personally, I don't care what they call them, Long live RHSC and all whole 'sail' in them!!)

Ahoy, is the sun over the yard arm? where did i put my rum ration ?

no, I realise that Andy. i just went through the names more for "new to the scene" people, so that they then have an idea why the names have been arrived at.

looking at the car Troy has designed on another post, I think that could be called the "Dolly Parton" :D

Where are you? anyway Andy, put your "town" in the location box on your profile. Then keep the kettle full! ;)

To add to Jims reply.

The very first Robin Hoods 7 type car was Triumph based. This could be dolomite or TR7 for the mechanicals. These started as spaceframe cars.

Then came the Cortina based cars with the reversed front subframe and monocoque construction which evolved into the single donor sierra based S7.

This does not include the various cars that were only ever shown in prototye form like the Little John for the larger driver and the GO that used the sierra rear screen as a heated front screen.

I am certain that I have missed out many more.

Ian

From what I understand anyway the Design weights are the maximim allowed. So you might as well put 500kg/600kg in and you will pass as long as the car isn't heavier that that over all! Good luck with the SVA, one day I may actually get another bolt on my kit and get moving forward to put this Exmo in!