Clio F4R Engine

Guest jasonmorris

Guest jasonmorris

A while ago I had a Clio 182 sport which when remapped, full system and induction kit put out 207bhp on the rollers and revved to about 8000rpm.

My question is, is it possible to use this engine in a rear wheel drive 7 type car and has anyone on here ever done it?

My reason for asking is that these engines seem to be going for good prices on eBay and produce loads of power as standard so god knows what's possible with cams, throttle bodies and megasquirt etc...

Also as well, what gearbox could you use, type 9, MT75 etc, and how would you mate them together?

I look forward to all your interesting responses.

Regards,

Jason

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jasonmorris

I've often wondered if its possible. The only two problems that are obvious are the gearbox and how to control the variable valve timing.

These engines are going for 500-600quid on ebay, way cheaper than a tuned pinto.

Jason

Guest garyfelton

Renault only ever used this engine as a front wheel drive either transversely as in the clio, 5, megane, 19, laguna etc. or longways with front wheel drive in the earlier ranges ie: 18. Volvo also used it transversely in their 400 series range, they also used a version in the 340 with a transaxle arangement at the rear. A bellhousing from one of these maybe a starting point.

Guest jasonmorris

I never realised this engine was that old they fitted it to volvo 340's and 400's. Can I clarify we are talking about the same 2.0 16v 170-180bhp engine as fitted to the clio sports?

So, let me get this right if I find a bellhousing from a 340 that may fit onto this block and then using an adaptor plate of sum sort, it may fit to a type 9 box?

Rgds,

Jason

Guest jasonmorris

Mmm interesting, sounds expensive, but at least shows it can be done.

Wonder if Nigel's around to give his thoughts about this one?

Would make an excellent choice for kits though, light, powerful, and affordable.

Jason

Guest adey1984

Real world with out serious mods 200+ is not easy to get outa them engines, 185 at a push with out opening up. I wouldn't rev one much past 7600 for long or you will lock the lifter or throw a rod. I've done a fair bit of work with these engines inc my own itb and cammed one (203bhp on jenveys 213bhp with cams on top) then I built a sc one 280b, both ran on omex ecus but I highly dbout you had close to 200bhp with a remap.

As for the original question the Volvo 340 red gearbox will bolt up with a mix match of Renault Volvo parts, the f block engine design was shared with Volvo so a lot of late 80 early 90s stuff is interchangeable and with the Clio having a f4r engine it will still bolt up.

Guest garyfelton

I believe Renault designed the 'F' engine as a 1.7 engine originally and modified it as a 1.6 diesel engine for the 5. There have been many versions rangeing from 1.6 8 vavle to 2.0 16 valve turbo petrol engines and from 1.6 to 1.9 turbo diesel engines. The Megane 225 is based on an 'F' engine, why not look for one of those?

Guest jasonmorris

Seriously, I had a Clio 182 which has 180bhp as standard. This had a group N remap, k-tek racing induction kit and a full Decat system, and yes it did put out 207bhp at the flywheel after a good rolling road session. The car was an absolute pocket rocket. The only weak point I ever found on this engine was the de-fazer pulley which alters the variable valve timing at different rpm and they are about 130 quid new.

I wouldn't mind making this my next project if it can be done, maybe even in another 7, so I'll have 2 to play with ;-).

Rgds,

Jason

Guest jasonmorris

Seems like renault made many versions of this engine.

I simply wanted to explore the idea of fitting a Clio sport engine into a 7 type car as it is 180bhp standard. Can it be done and if so, then how?

Guest garyfelton

Real world with out serious mods 200+ is not easy to get outa them engines, 185 at a push with out opening up. I wouldn't rev one much past 7600 for long or you will lock the lifter or throw a rod. I've done a fair bit of work with these engines inc my own itb and cammed one (203bhp on jenveys 213bhp with cams on top) then I built a sc one 280b, both ran on omex ecus but I highly dbout you had close to 200bhp with a remap.

As for the original question the Volvo 340 red gearbox will bolt up with a mix match of Renault Volvo parts, the f block engine design was shared with Volvo so a lot of late 80 early 90s stuff is interchangeable and with the Clio having a f4r engine it will still bolt up.

Renault have made many different versions of the F4R engine ( F being engine type 4 being 4 valves per cylinder and R being 2 litre). The clio 197 and latest clio 200 run a version of the F engine as did the original clio williams, but the key point is they are not fitted with the same head. so if you are talking about the F7R as in the clio williams you are right about the power output.

Gary

Guest garyfelton

Having worked as both a Volvo and Renault master Technician I'm certain the only vehicle to have rear wheel drive with any version of the 'F' engine is the Volvo 340, however as the engine was in the front and the gearbox in the rear then the only possible answer is to either get a bellhousing made for whichever gearbox you fit or use the Volvo bellhouing and modify it with an adapter plate. The 340 bellhousing should fit any 'F' engine as the blocks are all basically the same, but this is only my opinion, you would have to try.

regards Gary