Clio F4R Engine

Guest jasonmorris

Guest adey1984

F4r was never in the willy! U doughnut. trust me I'm Renault through and through. Later gen turbo f4rs and the 197 have a different block completely and arnt useable with the Volvo stuff

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest garyfelton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Renault_engines

Your right the F4R was never in the willy it was the F7R but the blocks are both the Renault F series engines and are basically the same, in fact the willy engine block was the diesel version, as it is a stronger block. The F engine has only recently been superceded by the M series of engines.

Check the above link for further info

Guest adey1984

F series blocks are all very different, you can't mix and match them easily. They've been produced for a long time now and have changed a lot. Only a few parts are actually interchangeable between them.

Guest adey1984

Kinda the same as the sr20det in the 200sx and the sr20det in the pulsar, from the outside they are similar but up close and when open they are quite different. It's just a designation name for an engine that meets certain build criteria.

Guest garyfelton

I accept that maybe other manufacturers may have the same designation details for different engines but not Renault, (when the E series went through a major change it became the K series). Both the F4R and earlier F7R and F3R (8 valve) engines have the same bore and stroke 82.7mm x 93mm and same capacity of 1998cc not by chance me thinks. They are basically the same block with some minor changes. Having attended at least 5 Renault training coures a year since 1993 and been told that the blocks are for all intents and purposes the same whatever the engine size. Therefore the Volvo bellhousing could fit and until tried and proved it doesn't it should be considered a possibility.

Guest adey1984

Yes they are similar but different. Try fitting a Williams or megane 2.0ltr head on a Volvo f series block, or a f4r 172 head on a f7r block, bore and stroke are a very small part of it. The later engines in the 197 200 and meggy 225 are very different, water pump the lot.

And for the record I told the forum a Volvo bell housing would fit, the 1.7 Volvo 340 bell housing will fit all f series engines before the 197-200/megane series engine. Being to all them Renault courses you would know that they use a completley different block and bell housing pattern.

Guest adey1984

Oh and the Renault sport spider had a mid mounted f7r and rwd. Only production Renault with rwd and an F engine.

Obviously all the formula Renaults are and were mid mounted and ran f7rs before wing changed to f4r

The spider ran the engine in the rear but in the same orientation as a fwd setup

Guest garyfelton

Yes they are similar but different. Try fitting a Williams or megane 2.0ltr head on a Volvo f series block, or a f4r 172 head on a f7r block, bore and stroke are a very small part of it. The later engines in the 197 200 and meggy 225 are very different, water pump the lot.

And for the record I told the forum a Volvo bell housing would fit, the 1.7 Volvo 340 bell housing will fit all f series engines before the 197-200/megane series engine. Being to all them Renault courses you would know that they use a completley different block and bell housing pattern.

Firstly I have never suggested that you can interchange any of the engine parts. All I have said is the blocks are in essence the same externally, of course the block has evolved ie oil pump drive, water pumps etc.

Secondly the first F4R engines were fitted into the Laguna I facelift models in 1998 mated to the JC gearbox which was also fitted to the F3R engine. The later low power F4R engines used a later version of that gearbox the JH which was basically a selector mechanism change. The higher power turbo Laguna and the Espace F4R engines were mated to a 6 Speed PF gearbox. The Clio 172 and 182 were fitted with the JC gearbox.The Clio 197 uses the TL gearbox.The Megane 225 uses a Nissan NDO 6 speed gearbox. So yes there are many gearboxes fitted to the F4R engine range depending on power output and model. Are you suggesting Renault make a different block for each engine geabox combination?

Guest adey1984

Essentially the same as in they are a block with the same bore and stroke as each other, you've agreed it has evolved and as such has changed quite a bit.

Yes and they do it with the evolution of the engine. Youv'e said that yourself.I'm also telling u all what engine/blocks the Volvo stuff will bolt to, simple. The bell housings are completely different for the later stuff. If the blocks were all the same they would have the same part number.

Guest jasonmorris

Thanks guys all this information is very relevant.

So let me get this right, the 340 bellhousing should mate to the f4r block up to The Clio 172-182 model years as after that the external block design changed significantly?

Also from what you have said in previous posts, you seem to suggest this engine is too tall for a seven type kit car, are we certain of this as it will obviously suggest a valid reason as to why more builders have not used this engine.

Rgds,

Jason