Sierra Diff

Guest Matt_wood

Guest Matt_wood

Just cleaning up the donor parts before starting the build but noticed that where one of the bolts go through the diff it, the casing is damaged.

any suggestions as to whether it can be repaired and how or am i going to have to get a new diff/case

http://s1107.photobu...00/Matt_wood60/

I cant seem to find the missing piece.

026.jpg

well iam cheap so i'd use it anyway and i'd maybe try and get the piece welded on if i had it.

and either way get a aluminium bar that will fit under the middle part with a hole drilled in it for the bolt to go through. Tack that into place. If you get my meaning it would then mean you had a complete hole for location on that side at the back edge of where it should be (the broken bit), which hopefully would be enough to stop any movement and support it correctly.

From memory the diff is held at the front, middle top (broken bit) middle bottom and at the back so if you aren't running huge power then you could get away with it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

This is obviously my own opinion and i haven't tried anything like this myself so you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to do this. I wouldn't do this on a kit that its difficult to get the diff out.

hth

Guest jasonmorris

Is it a LSD or just a normal standard sierra diff?

If its standard I would personally try to find another before trying to fix that one. Different story if its an LSD as they are more rare and therefore more expensive.

Jason