Power Questions

Guest tobomoto

Guest tobomoto

hi all this is my first post so a big hello to everyone. ive been interested in robin hood kits since my brother ordered a catalogue some 12 years ago when he was at uni. im looking into getting a road registered one as i dont really have time or the facilities to build one myself (although id love to!).

ive got a question about how much power you can put through the chassis? as ive seen models with all sort of engines- 1.6-2.0 pintos, 2.0 duratecs, rover v8's, supercharged, turbos ect. i know you can put any engine in it with enough time and money but i was wondering how much power you can put into it without the chassis twisting/cracking?

sorry for going on but i want to be sure what i can and cant get away with before i get any mad ideas. cheers peeps.

Its all about power to weight my rh had 218bhp per ton it was quick but not quick enough for me, my new one is 301bhp per ton and that's is a handful ! 2b are heavy compared to zeros so for max performance go zero, as for the chassis they will handle pretty much what ever u can afford to put into them...

Guest tobomoto

thanks for the quick reply. im hoping to get one next year but ive got to fix, road legal and sell 2 motorbikes and my current car first before i can get another toy. got me thinking now though. just out of curiousity whats the approx weight of a road legal zero with a zetec or duratec engine?.

There are basically three different versions of RobinHoods you might come across. 2B probably most common with hefty chassis which will take lots of power. Earlier S7/2/3A stainless steel monocoque type chassis which are not so strong, but come with engines up to 200bhp and a few V8 rover installs that work well. These chassis do get cracks in predictable places but that is with any engine so not power related and they are repairable. Latest chassis is a relatively light spaceframe type and only been in production for a couple of years. So you are less likely to pick one of these up secondhand but there is no reason to expect problems with any likely power unit you choose to fit.

Nigel

• Like 1

Guest tobomoto

cheers for the advice. repairing the chassis wont be much of a problem- im a welder (tig ali & stainless steel). but i dont want to be repairing it every weekend when i should be out in it! the engines im looking at will be 4 cylinder engines but i know ill have to get the mounts made. theres loads of engineering companies near me so that shouldnt be a problem.

Mine is a monocoque and has had various engines in it from 130 pinto to its current 200 ST170. I have done 40,000 miles in it and no cracks so far. More dependant on the suspension set-up than engine power I believe. I like to run soft tyres, softish springs and soft dampers 95% of the time on the road and only harden things up on track.

Nigel

Guest mower man

Mine is a monocoque and has had various engines in it from 130 pinto to its current 200 ST170. I have done 40,000 miles in it and no cracks so far. More dependant on the suspension set-up than engine power I believe. I like to run soft tyres, softish springs and soft dampers 95% of the time on the road and only harden things up on track.

Nigel Hi Nigel I'm so glad to see some one else talk sense about mono cars ok I don't run much more than 115 /120 horse power but mono cars generally are broken by suspesion set ups that are far to stiff! mowerman