Donor Vehicles

Guest Ian5284

Guest Ian5284

Hi all I'm new to the kit car world and i've run into a little problem already I'm having trouble finding a Sierra donor vehicle, just wondering if there are any alternatives that can be used for a Zero hat are more easily sourced.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

Hi all I'm new to the kit car world and i've run into a little problem already I'm having trouble finding a Sierra donor vehicle, just wondering if there are any alternatives that can be used for a Zero hat are more easily sourced.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

the easier way would be to find out what bits you need and source them individually from ebay, i dont think the zero uses enough sierra parts to warrent the purchase of a full sierra... although i might be talking pink spherical objects.... there are plenty of Zero builders on here who will give you much better informed info.

GBS were looking at making kits to suit other donors. They were looking at MX-5s and E36 BMW bits. Give them a ring and see how far the have got with that. The certainly had all the running gear from an E36 when I went up there last year and Richard was saying that he saw no issues with making a chassis to suit. There are a lot more E36s around than Sierras or MX-5s nowadays.

The M42/4 engine at 1900cc produces 140 bhp and the 6 pots a lot more, there are lots of rusty ones around going for well under a £1000.

Guest Ian5284

Thanks for your input people. I have been on the phone to GBS today and am looking at getting the donor kit. I know I'm taking half the fun away but they've also given me a great deal on the engine, my only concern is when it comes to registering the car when finished I'm going to end up with it being Q plated.

Ian. It depends on how much of the donor kit you are using. If you are using mainly new parts, with just a few of the parts from the donor, you may still qualify for a new registration number. You can have one re-conditioned item on the car and the rest new to qualify. The transmission (gearbox, diff, drive shafts) qualifies as 1 part so as long as they are cleaned up and re-furbshed, you should be OK. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a Q plate, it makes the statement "I built this car myself" and it doesn't affect the way it drives or the fun you will have with it.

Guest Ian5284

I didn't look at it that way regarding the Q plate...cheers.

I have now ordered my kit and donor kit and have been told that it will be ready in roughly 4 weeks and have also had an ex mock up engine chucked in at no extra cost...happy day's :)