Burton Power

richardm6994

The 2012 Burton Power Catalogue appeared this morning and it got me thinking.................

how much would it cost to scratch build a 2.0 pinto engine (running) from the most expensive parts that they sell?

I also wondered that after building this engine, how much you'd be able to sell it for?!? I'd imagine a lot less than you'd paid thus making a massive loss!!!

Pointless topic I know.........but it's in chit chat so........................

it would cost shed loads and youd never make your money back.

but one built to top spec would be useless on the road as it would lack bottom end.

My mate races in a pinto engined royale car and it does nothing below 3k .

Guest jhfozzy

One of the dealers did this on the MLR for a full Evo 10 as the Evo is one of the few cars you can buy everything for including full shells.

IIRC it came to about £250k at dealer prices.

okay........so I'm sad enough to do this on my lunch at work;

I'm not going to list all the parts as there are approx 40 different items, however summary engine spec I worked on;

2.1 Pinto

Aluminium block and head

82mm stroke

omex Throttle bodies and ECU

dry sump

total £16.333.94

But don't worry, free delivery on orders over £100!

Now how much do you recon the engine would sell for?

The golden rule of manufacturing: never sell an item for what it cost you to make - always sell it at what the market will pay. Quite a good rule which is always seems to be proved right. I guess there are exceptions to which I'm sure some of you will elaborate on.

Guest mower man

The 2012 Burton Power Catalogue appeared this morning and it got me thinking.................

how much would it cost to scratch build a 2.0 pinto engine (running) from the most expensive parts that they sell?

I also wondered that after building this engine, how much you'd be able to sell it for?!? I'd imagine a lot less than you'd paid thus making a massive loss!!!

Pointless topic I know.........but it's in chit chat so........................

Hi I part priced this about 3/4 years ago ,alloy block, alloy head ,steel crank and rods ,arp bolts etc it stopped being funny after £20k !!!!!! mower man