Paint Job, Advice Needed.

Guest Brian T

Guest Brian T

Having given up on the idea of finishing a part built SP 2B I have got myself a very near road ready Exmo, I don't give up too easy it's just that having 2 hips replaced the job was never going to be as easy as I thought, a conversion to wishbones was going to prove too difficult for me. For less than the price of wishbone kit, fitting (decided I'd not be able to do it myself) and an IVA +poss retest I got the Exmo which is registered and a runner. Engine recently rebuilt and a 5 speed box. Carb running a bit rich and some "drag" as you blip the throttle. Result.

I collected it Tuesday evening ,got home dark o'clock, grabbed a few hours sleep,too few,getting too old for this, and went out and did a few little bit's and pieces while still on the trailer, phoned my local friendly MOT garage ,2 minutes away, and luckily they had a slot. Took it up there and told them " I know it's a fail on seats/harnesses not secured, but what I want is an MOT to tell me what needs doing, is that OK?"--"Fine ,mate . You want to come with me and I'll show you anything that needs doing?"--brilliant bloke. He did the full lot, brake test perfect, emissions a tad dodgy, he adjusted the carb, emissions fine and responsive :acute:

So, what did he pick up? Seats/harnessses ,known problem, indicators/hazards,known problem, fog light ,Known prob, dipped beam NSF, QUE SURPRISE !!!! No problem. Front cycle wing stay cracked, think I did that being over zealous with the strap tbh, NSF steering rack gaiter, and the carb set up,cured. He advised the handbrake may have been left on in storage so could do with a clean up as he could "feel" when he rotated the wheel there was a bit of drag, I was intending to do that anyway. Steering wheel needs a couple more screws in it, washer jets need replacing and that chaps was the lot ! A days work to get her back on the MOT Testers good books :db:

When I asked him how much he said "call it a tenner mate,wasn't a full MOT,no paperwork." so I gave him £20.

That's the good stuff out of the way, now for the reason for the post, the car was built '95 and the body is showing a few signs of age, a few hairline cracks on the mudguard steel to GRP joins, a few little scratches and bit's and pieces. Seen as I don't have hundreds to spend on "other stuff" I was thinking a paint job :crazy:

The car has a couple of places where another colour is showing underneath the main colour, under trim and places, so I'm assuming it has all ready been resprayed at some point. Am I correct in thinking that the existing colour be it cellulose, doubtful, or synthetic/ 2 pack, should be OK to fill and flat back then blow over with acrylic/synthetic filling primer?

Have any of you ever sprayed a Hood using just aerosol "Panel spray" the large cans? Any good or is it a spray shop job? I made tentative enquiries for a spray job and was quoted "about 4 or 500" and that was if I did the preperation all they had to do was mask off and spray, seems a bit steep to me or do they just see "If he can afford a toy like that let's get some money off him." That was with a standard paint colour not a candy or anything.

Your opinions please on the way to go ? I have a garage to do it in which can be heated and is clean and dry, good ventilation, I also have a spray gun ,came as part of the compressor kit, but not too sure if I would make a right pigs ear of it if I tried :aggressive:

I've done a fair bit of spraying, mostly steam engines believe it of not, but I've also done car panels etc.....Aerosols are okay for small parts, but I would say that on large surfaces (bonnets etc....) they are not very good at all as you do not get the even coverage.

A compressor and spray-gun is the best route to take if your looking at doing body panels, but you must remeber to use a water trap on your compressor.

Other than that.....it's just the age-old saying.........good painting starts with good prep work....and never a truer word spoken

There is one last point to think about (he says whilst smiling)...........I'm an exmo owner and love the car to bits. I use and abuse it almost daily throughout the summer and whenever I notice a bit of bad paintwork / scratch etc...............well it just get another sticker stuck over it!!!!

Guest Brian T

Thanks for the replies.

No it's not black it's yellow, I'll try and add a pic when I work out how :sorry:

I'm in Devon,thought that was on the profile but it isn't showing.

TYRE KICKERS NOT ALLOWED :diablo: ...That was something else I forgot to add, it has 4 brand new Pirellis on it 8) Kick the tyres I'll get my dog to lick you to death and believe me she would :air_kiss:

Looks like i may have to have a dabble on some scrap sheet to perfect the "black art" of spraying. Is it easy enough? I'm OK with a can and have done doors and things before but never had a spray gun and full car to do.

Stickers are in abundance, my son is a Cadet karter and virtually every time we get something from a dealer we get stickers. Castrol are rubbish they fade in sunlight ........cheapskates. Sparco last for years as do AMB and NGK.

nice to see another Exmo back on the road.

not had much experience at painting the full car, did it once with a mk1 fiesta but it didn't look brilliant. I think practice makes perfect and having someone to show you the 'tricks' of the trade would help. Have you tried a night course at a local college, I know the local one to me does courses.

i painted mine yellow myself. small compressor and spray gun. worked pretty well. takes a lot of work to prep and also finish.

there are loads of tutorials on the web so i won't go to great detail but basically get it all sanded properly til you are happy then prime ( i used a 2 part etch primer onto bare metal and also glassfibre bits) couple of coats of that. I then flatted that with 1200 wet and dry with soapy water. then cellulose top coats did 3 or 4 coats to get a good thickness. if you thin the last coat 10% more then it will give a shinnier finish.

You should then get a polisher and polishing compound to bring up to a brilliant shine.

I actually bought 5 litres of yellow for about £25 although that was a long time ago (2006ish) turned out to be rather nice yellow so i didn't bother getting teh punto yellow to finish that i had planned.

I did each panel at a time. takes longer but you have more control and don't have to panic trying to do it all at once.

don't have any pics online to show but i did a video about my bonnet and you should be able to see how the paint turned out

as for spray cans. i really wouldn't. probably cost you more than buying a compressor and proper paint and the finish will be poor. You have no control over the paint mixture. I find i change the thinners depending on temperature etc, can't do that with a can. Also do not get 2k as you need a proper air fed mask as it is nasty stuff. Cellulose is ok for home use but get a good mask P3 (i think double check) if poss, they are like £15 from screwfix and worth it for clean lungs.

hth

Guest Brian T

Thanks chaps, will have a look into doing it myself, preping is no problem ,used to that, got my own compressor and spray gun already, just the practise and experience I need , will let you know how it goes. :help:

Guest sandy77uk

I sprayed my zero myself, bought a gun and compressor, read a guide on youtube and I'm pretty pleased with the result :)

is the skin of the exmo ali? if so I'd take the whole car back to the ali/GRP, then acid etch primer/build primer on GRP then build primer over the etch, then your coats of colour, then your laquer - happy days

I too did mine myself. Did it in L07 (62-67 Lotus yellow) with the front section done in yelow and black chequered paint. Came out far better than I expected, but the chequered paint wa s a hell of a price.

Sold the car 4 years ago to a guy somewhere in Stoke. Anyone seen it recently?

Si