First Drive

Guest rwh

The great day had arrived! I fitted my new number plates, blew the tyres up to 18psi, and put another gallon of petrol in the tank. I was ready to go. I lowered myself into the drivers seat, adjusted the seatbelts, pressed the starter button and eased the car out for the first time. Just to make sure everything was working, I took the car round the block. Everything seemed fine, so I took her for a longer run where she could stretch her legs a bit. It was brilliant. Although it was bl00dy cold, it was dry and sunny and I couldn't have enjoyed the drive more. It was my car and I built her and the whole experience was even better than I had hoped.

So for all you guys who have just started, or are still building, stick at it, it will be worth it when you get the car on the road. By the way it took me 22 months to build the car in a normal domestic garage.

Thanks again to the club, everyone who helped and supported me through the build and to GBS who I have always found friendly and helpful.

post-4157-0-84857300-1328999777_thumb.jpg

Hi Simon,

Mine passed 26/1/12 at Nottingham. Richard from GBS emailed me with my Registration number on 7/2/12 and I got the V948 form and tax disc on 9/2/12. Plates made up on 10/2/12, first drive 11/2/12. So you should get yours pretty soon.

You are so right about it being worth the wait :yahoo: When you drive your car for the first time, there is no feeling like it.

Let us know when you get your reg and have your first drive. - ENJOY

Bob

Hi Bob,

Actually, I've already had the first drive down to the IVA test centre and back. The only time you can drive with NO number plates :)

Jan 31st at 6am was quite cold ! I didn't feel the cold after I got the pass certificate though :)

I'm now looking forward to getting the plates for it. Right now I'm putting in bits like trim and such. I only built it up to IVA level and now finishing off the other bits.

I'm also making the steering column covers out of fibreglass so if you know anyone who would like some?

I will try and get hold of some yellow gelcoat and make some up in that colour as well.

Enjoy your car and may see you at some shows?

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I had my very first drive up at GBS when I went up to collect the car after its IVA. Couldn't tell you what it was like as it had no screen and my eyes were streaming so much I couldn't see a thing. For my first legal drive I had the screen on which helped a lot. Funny how I didn't feel the cold until I stopped. Maybe adrenalin is a good antifreeze (for humans).

I'm definately looking forward to warmer weather and going to the shows.

Bob