Rewiring Dash /gauges

Guest Brian T

Guest Brian T

Hi, guess which muppet just wrote all this out then hit the wrong button and lost it all ;-(

Here we go (again).

I am changing over my dashboard while I await the delivery of my new electronic speedo.

I need some help, advice, confirmation.

Fitted to my Exmo is/was an 85 Sierra dash array, this is connected via a 13 pin connector . I have turned the unit over as far as I can make out the wiring is as described below. I have added where I think they go and where the supplies ,feeds etc come from /go to , I have added the wire colours as well in case that helps. These seem to vary quite a lot from what I have read and often don't equate to a Haynes manual !

1. Alt warning light. (Blue) 12v ign supply / alt.

2. Seat belt (not used) (Black and white)

3. Earth . (2 x Brown)

4. Main beam warning light. (Blue and white) Supplied from stalk switch / Earth.

5. 12v supply switched by IGN (Black/yellow) REMEMBER to take one to the Voltage stabiliser if using Smiths type gauges.

6. Oil low pressure warning light. (Blue/Green) 12v ign supply / oil pressure switch.

7. Handbrake warning (Brown/yellow) Not used (Just in case I decide to use it 12v IGN/ h/brake switch?)

8. Fuel gauge (Blue/back) fuel sender / 12v IGN supply (stabilised to 10v).

9. Backlighting of cluster (white /yellow) . This will not be used, but, could I use this as a supply for the lights on the replacement gauges?

10. Earth (brown ) This appears to common in with the Earth from 3 under the connector on the dash printed circuit?

11. Temperature gauge(red /white) . Temperature sender / 12v IGn supply (stabilised to 10 v) ?

12 AND 13 black/green and black/white respectively both go to the indicator warning light.

Can I just connect these up as per the wiring as above i.e; extend the wires to warning lights in dash.

As for the gauges, I have Smiths gauges which I believe need a voltage stabiliser (BTW will any Volt stabiliser do? Is a Land Rover one the same animal as a Ford one ?). I read the Sierra cluster had one inside, having looked I can't see a standalone one in there, so, did Ford build it into the cluster or is there a seperate one elsewhere in the loom?

If I need a Voltage stabiliser can I just wire that into the 12v IGN supply?

How does the indicator warning light work if there are 2 suppies and no Earth~ :sorry:

Can I take a supply from 12 to one lamp holder going to Earth and do the same for 13 so I have independant Left/Right warning lights? or is it Maplins diode time?

How many various wiring diagrams did Sierras actually end up with ?????????

Voltage must be stabilised to 10v for fuel and temperatrue gauges.

Wiring a volt stabiliser, ensure the BODY of the stabiliser has a good known Earth, follow the orientation as marked on the body "Top" must be uppermost for them to work effectively. 2 terminals marked "B" require a 12v supply (from ign switch) only one terminal need be connected though, the 2 terminals marked " I" got to your instrument . Each Voltage stabiliser can supply power for 3 instruments.

Guest Brian T

I fitted the Voltage stabiliser just to be on the safe side, I used a Land Rover one ,they appear physically the same and have the same input and output values 12v switched (Ign) + in and 10v + out, they can provide a stabilised + Voltage to 3 gauges, in my case they are feeding Temperature and Fuel so one spare. As for the indicators I had a read through old posts and found this;

"I read that as the OP used to have a single indicator dash light and now wanted to have a left and right indicator dash light.

Single dash light is wired by taking the positive feed to the left indicators and the positive feed to the right indicators to the two contacts of the dash bulb. No earth and no diodes. When the right side indicators are energised the dash bulb gets a supply to one of its contacts from the right indicator circuits and earths through its other contact through the left side indicator circuit through its three bulbs to earth. It doesn't carry enough current to light any of the bulbs it is earthing through except the dash light. And vice versa. And that also explains why if you switch to separate left and right dash telltale bulbs the old single is removed and the wires are not joined. If you join them both sides are linked and will all fire off, very slowly every time you operate either indicator.

Twin dash bulbs just take a feed from each side to its bulb and then to earth. The easiest feed would be the now redundant two wires to the original single bulb but any right side indicator feed can be used for the right dash bulb etc.

Nigel

Attached Thumbnails

• post-21-0-46367000-1304173724_thumb.jpg

As far as the rest of it goes it would appear all is correct with the above wiring colours and purpose,however, if you ever do the job please don't take it as read they will be the same,turn your cluster over and follow the copper layout on yours and use this simply as a guide they may differ slightly!

I did the bulk of the wiring yesterday, my "new" dash has Tacho, alternator/charge warning, low oil pressure warning,main beam warning light, Temp gauge and Voltmeter all working and all with back lights. Doing it all now and labelling all the terminal end as I am only going to get one shot at getting it right with the dashboard and rear of the dash this accessible ;-)

• 2 months later...

Just found this as I am trying to work out why does what on my 13 pin dash connector, I am fairly certain my connector has a feed from the coil for the tacho but your list doesn't identify one? Or am I missing something?

Guest old_timbo

Just wiring in a new dash myself. Using Triumph Dolomite Smiths gauges to replace a Sierra binnacle from a 1987 car. Has a tachometer and a single indicator warning light powered off two independent feeds. The voltage regulator if it has one is built into it somewhere. Haynes manual was useless so I had to work out the connections the hard way. Main harness is the Vicky Green type. Binnacle has a single 12pin plug wired as follows:

There are several different Ford Binnacles, and this table won't work for some of them.

Guest old_timbo

Hmm, obviously pasting a table doesn't work. Try this:-

Ford Plug, Function, Vicky Green Harness

Grey & Green, Panel Light 12vdc, Red

Blue, Alternator Warning, Brown & Yellow

Brown & Yellow, Handbrake, brake fluid warning, 2 x Black & Yellow

Brown & White, Water Temp., Blue & Green

Blue & White, Main Beam, Blue & White

Black & Yellow, 12vdc supply to gauges, Green

Brown, Earth, Black

Brown & Black, Fuel Gauge, Green & Black

Brown & Green, Oil pressure warning, White & Brown