Pinto Bottom End

Guest dieselnut

Guest dieselnut

I've just started work on my recently purchased 'project' an abandoned S7... first port of call after the non functioning brakes is the engine... Spanner on the crank, nothing moves :(

To be honest, I was kind of expecting it, no worries, duck oil in the plug holes, wait 2 hours, try again... still stuck

Rocker cover off, Head off, stare at pistons.

Pistons 1 and 2 are fine, slightly oily from my duck oil persuading... but look good.. Pistons 3 and 4 however have an inch of rusty water in, and I mean RUSTY brown : :boohoo:

After a few helpful words from a friend, we decided that it needed a little more 'help' in moving and set about the stuck piston with a block of wood and a few light flows from the persuader... Nothing at all :(

Now the options I've got are...

1 - Take out the crank, con rods etc and try and bop the piston through, rehone the bores, oversized piston rings etc etc etc

2 - Find another pinto bottom end and swap the head over (The head's been ported, skimmed and had some new cams thrown in prior to me getting it)

Does anyone on the board have any ideas on what else I can do ? A full set of piston rings is probably going to cost me the same as a bottom end... so that's option 1 probably out of the question after you add the honing work etc.

Matthew

look in your local Loot, even put a free advert in there, try to get a full running engine, a EFI lump is the best option, then put your original carb manifold etc onto it.

Last time I did this, I got a complete car (less interior) for free.

there's still plenty around, you've just got to find them.

I certainly wouldn't start throwing money at it.

Guest dieselnut
a EFI lump is the best option, then put your original carb manifold etc onto it.

That sounds like an option... whats the difference between the EFI and the Carb'd setup as far as engine goes ?

Guest dieselnut

That sounds like a good option to me :)

I've placed a loot ad, and had a browse through a couple of the companies who are offering Donor spares packs for locosts... I've found a rebuilt bottom end for £50, the galling part is the £45 P&P unless I can collect :(

Guest dieselnut

Sneaky Mat-d-rat ;) You were ever so close, but that's down to NTL's DNS...

Do a whois on this IP block and you'll get my address too :D

Aaaanyway, current indications are looking good, a friend of a friend has just mentioned that there's a nice tuned pinto about to hit the scrap heap, approx 145bhp at the flywheel. Going to take a look this lunchtime .... happy bunny !

Guest dieselnut
I don't know where you are Mathew, but I have a block in my garage if you want to collect, bores are fine, not sure of the bearings though.

Peter.

I'll bear this one in mind Cheers !!