Mini Heater Matrix.upside Down?

Guest smegheadsteve

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi chaps.Getting car ready for MOT.Looking forward to it.Been off the road for 2 years now due to one thing and another.

Anyway.I fitted a classic mini heater unit on tunnel top behind the dash,but matrix was leaking so just got a new matrix.

Before I fit it,I was thinking of drilling two new holes for the matrix outlets so they come out nearer to the top rather than at the bottom,making it easier and tidier for the plumbing.

My question is,does there need to be an outlet at the bottom of the matrix?If you are not familiar with the mini heater matrix,basically it is a rectangle with two outlets at one side,both towards the bottom half.So could these be at the top half instead.

Also,does it matter which is the in and out.One hose comes from the outlet in the head inbetween carbs,to matrix then back to water pump.So the hose coming from the head,does this need to go to top connection of matrix,or doesn't it matter?

Hope I haven't waffled too much.

Cheers.

Steve.

Pipe outlets nearer the top should help get rid of any air & think the speed of flow is too high to make any difference on heater efficiency;unlike a domestic rad where output is greatly dependant on hot in & cooler out positions.

That's useful info. So fit the matrix the easiest way and join the pipes which ever way round you want and air locks are not a problem?

Are all mini heater matrices made this way? I have one fitted and went to some lengths to get it self bleeding, wasting my time by the sound of it!

Nigel

Guest smegheadsteve

Thanks chaps.I have never really thought about how a radiator or heater matrix is made or how it works.I will fit it the easiest way then.

Cheers.

Steve.