Build Time

Guest tom-zero

Guest tom-zero

will do thanks im really intrieged to see what the " BUILD DVD" is like lol starting to get my head around most things now the blogs are extremly helpful,

1 question tho what are rivitnuts how do you fit them and what is there purpose lol

thanks tom

They're a threaded boss, top hat shaped. Usually alloy, but you can get stainless or mild steel ones also.

You fit them similar to a rivet to thin skinned panels and the like. Once fitted correctly, they leave a thread for you to use

for whatever your fixing together.

Available in an assortment of thread sizes, but the most popular on a kit will be M4,M5 & M6.

I use a nut and bolt to fit them, the proper tools are expensive for a decent one and the amount you'll use on an average

build doesn't really warrant one.

On a side note, purchase some skin pins to assist in fitting the panels to the chassis.... they're worth they're weight in gold.

Skin pins - also known as cleko fasteners.

Rivnuts, yes a long bolt, nut and strong washers are all you need. I had a mate make a "tool" which involved some steel, a thrust bearing and top cup which made putting in M8 rivnuts much easier.

True, clekos need a tool to put them in, but they were very fast to use, insert and remove. And the tool isn't expensive compared to the quantity of clekos

Simon.

Skin pins - also known as cleko fasteners.

Rivnuts, yes a long bolt, nut and strong washers are all you need. I had a mate make a "tool" which involved some steel, a thrust bearing and top cup which made putting in M8 rivnuts much easier.

Simon.

Err, Simon.... Clecko's and skin pins are NOT the same and i won't be told otherwise! I have an Engineering Degree and a forklift license and make a mean Chicken Madras! 8)

Guest sandy77uk

Mine took 11 months to build, then i buggered off on a two week holiday, then took 4 weeks to sort the IVA out, so from kit collection to registered and driving on the road was just shy of 13 months (although I've not fitted the roof or the windscreen wipers, everything else is done

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snowy2

I built a "seven " replica in 60 days whilst doing my job as a long distance truck driver.....it was very hard work and i was knackered afterwards but it did include everything (heater, wiring, roof etc) it passed first time as well (i used to be a car mechanic and MOT tester) i would not recomend doing it to anyone unless your very comfortable and confident in your abilities. you will also have to compromise on lots of things to get it built so quickly, but its do-able. Another car i built took just about 400 hours, which included lots of head scratching and trying to figure out some of my problems.....(sat on floor staring at it utterly lost)

Give your self at least a year and then add on a bit......