Sat Nav Use In France

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

just read that if you use a sat nav or anything else that shows speed cameras in France even when turned off you can be fined up to £1240

ouch

peter2b

Guest sandy77uk

from the 1st of July

you should be able to get updates for your satnavs that remove safety cameras (just remember the ban is only for devices showing safety cameras, not actual satnavs)

The French never fail to come up with some stupid ideas.

They even re-wrote the rules for Archery and managed to mess that up too.

(FITA from the French Fédération Internationale de Tir à l'Arc) Or as we all say (French Interference in Target Archery) :)

Simon.

Guest boggybogstar

This really is a stupid law in my opinion, having a warning isnt just for the camera but an audio alert your in a speed controlled area, hey ho!!, I thought the speed camera law cam into effect on the 3rd January this year (according to TomTom website) and the breathalysers on 1st july.

Im off to the Pyrenees in the Kit on June 8th and have disabled the French camera's but kept the Spanish ones - ridiculous!

well unless i am informed wrong you also need a full bulb kit, warning triangle, first aid kit, hi-vis vest (must be in the cabin not the boot) to go with your breathaliser and non-speed camera sat-nav.

apparently 33% of fatal road accidents in france are drink related hence the new rules to try and cut the death rate.

whilst i agree with some of the things people should carry ( i think a fire extinguisher is a good idea as i have a tank full of flammable liquid) it does often seem to be a nice way of giving foreigners on the spot fines (cynical?!)

I entered "breathalyser NF" into eBay and that came up first.

I then tried "breathalyser France" and came up with others at that £5 - £6 price. Too late to amend previous post though :)

Do you really have to carry a cart load of stuff while driving in France? How bizzare !

Simon.