Lsd Overhaul, Any Recommendations?

megadodo

Having investigated the metallic clonk my car has started to develop I believe my LSD is need of an overhaul. There is a lot of backlash on the input and play between the 2 output shafts. One output bearing looks like its on its way out so no more thrashing about for me for a while. Can I get the bits to re-build it, is it very hard to do or do you know of anyone who is good at doing this sort of thing at a reasonable cost?

what makes you think an output bearing is on the way out? play in the driver's side output shaft is indicative of gear wear, not bearing failure.

If this is the case, rebuilding and replacing bearings wont fix the problem. Guess how i know! However, failure is unlikely to be imminent.

My recommendation - run it til it dies and keep your eye open for a used replacement.

Have you got enough of the correct grade of oil in?

Guest tom-zero

road and race transmisions near sevenoaks done mine really good place great guys who no there stuff i highly recomend them if you decide to get it done,

i had a complete overhaul and new planet gears fitted as one of the teeth was missing came back all painted up and looking like new i think this cost me around £300 i think it would hae been about £150 - £200 if i didnt need the planet gears replacing i did post some photos of it up a while ago

Thanks for the info guys.

My drivers side output is the one with the issue! I guess that accounts for the play between the 2 outputs? The diff has oil to the correct level ( I did check, I'm glad I freed off the filler plug during the build!). When I took the back off it during the build the oil looked spotless and there was no sign of swarf or excessive play as there is now. There was 1 tiny bit of swarf on the filler plug when I checked over the weekend, can they loose their magnetism and not show the true story? There is slight weeping past the output seals but only if you really look. Still, I'll look to send it away for re-build over the winter if you think its not going disintegrate on me. Oh, and an ebay search saved as well I guess!

Sounds like the same problem then.

If you're going for the rebuild option, just make sure you get replacement gears.

If there isn't much swarf coming off, i'd be tempted to leave it a while. I swapped mine out 15,000 miles after i initially noticed the play in the shaft, and there was a decent amount of swarf on the filler plug. I changed because i got a very good deal on a replacement and i had noticed an increased amount of play over that time.

Guest mower man

You really need some experience of diff work ,possibly some gauges and patience before tacking a rebuild ,not that it's particularly difficult but it is somewhat involved .In getting on for 50 years on the spanners I've only done 3/4 and never a lim slip . Its not likely to disintegrate but will get noisier ,apro rebuild would be my route HTH mower man

There are crush tubes in a diff that need to be correctly instaled

I think these set the lash, get it wrong and your diff may be worse than befor

Me I would run it until it goes then buy another, the standard Ford Sierra LSD is still only £150 and I would think cheaper than a rebuild

Generaly it's cheaper to buy another secondhand diff and gearbox than try and rebuild it yourself

If it was a Quaife diff, different matter and I would send that off for a rebuild