Can I Use A Cvh?

Guest Phil Kearns

Guest Phil Kearns
:wub: My friend has a 1.8 L Sapphire and said I can have it for my 2B/4 which I have ordered. It is a 1.8L CVH, what is that? and can this be used instead of the Pinto engine in the 2b/4 chassis?

Guest chris brown

The easy way round this is to use the sierra as the donor and find a pinto to replace the CVH as the 1800 is not a good engine to fit it any car (the 1600 is more tuneable and gives more power. The 1800 was built as an economy engine.

As soon as you get the donor SORN it then when you find a pinto send in the V5 with the pinto engine number stating you have changed the engine. Then on SVA and registering you will have used the engine that was fitted in donor.

Guest Nige

I have fitted a CVH 1800 to my 2b and to be honest it requires a lot of work.. First the inlet manifold is in the way of where the brake servo should go, so you either have to cross link it to the other side or do away with it. the engine sits father back than the pinto so the engine mounting holes in the chasis need to be moved forward. and then you have got the exhaust to worry about.. have a look at my website for pictures

Hi all,

i have a 1.8 exmo + after reading Chris's reply i was disapointed to hear that a 1.8 isn't very tunable.

i was planning to tune it after getting used to the car a bit, but i'm not that good with engines, :(

can someone tell me what i can do to tune the 1.8 apart from some nice big webbers?

any advice apreciated,

Lew

Lew, are you sure its a CVH rather than a 1.8 pinto. Biggest giveaway is the pinto exhaust exits on the driverside of the car, CVH on passenger side.

1.8 CVH is a weak engine, high bore wear and poor valve gear. Best tuning mod is to bin it and put in a pinto 2.0.

Nigel