Steering Wheel

Guest tom-zero

Guest tom-zero

hi, my sierra steering wheel recently arrived and i have noticed a couple of problems whilst trying to fit it, the first being that the centre hex where it slides onto the steering column seems too big, with other wheels i have changed this is always a tight fit but on this there is alot of movment unless the nut is done up tight, the other problem is that the back of the wheel seems to rub on the steering column.

i was wondering if the mk1 and mk2 sierra have diffrent columns/wheels and i might have a mk1 column and mk2 wheel ?

any help much appreciated i can post some pics if it helps

thanks Tom

Guest mcramsay

If you are only using the wheel for iva. And arnt planning to drive the car to the test, personally I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the wheel is secure and doesn't have any play once its done up tight, obviously if you are planning to drive the car with that wheel then that's a different story, I have a sierra wheel in the garage, I can measure the A.F measurement of the hex, if it fits your column you can have it

Guest tom-zero

thanks mcramsay will only be for iva and wont be driving it there planning on getting gbs to do it for peace of mind, im hoping to spend some time on the car this week want to get to the bottom of why the back of the wheel rubs on the column and will have a messure of the hex, im wondering if there is a piece missing maybe a spacer or something i will upload some pics in a bit

thanks again Tom

Not sure from the piccys, but it looks like you're missing the plastic ring that 'self-cancels' the indicators. It's about 20mm long with a bit that stick out into the steering wheel. I'll upload a piccy when I get near a pc

Cheers

Marcus

Pleasure - might be a bit late in the day, but finally got in front of a PC & hopefully attached a couple of piccys - one is the plastc ring taken on the bench (on its side, steering wheel would go on the left hand side) & the other is the ring on the column - I've not put the seering wheel on yet.

Cheers

Marcus

post-11133-0-71708600-1348582125_thumb.jpg

post-11133-0-01665000-1348582391_thumb.jpg

The column is sprung and slides into the housing toward the front of the car if you let it. Problem is that builders then bolt up the triangle clamp and the splined joint on the rack in this position before adding the wheel last. The wheel can't pull the column back up because it's now had it's length fixed by the other joints.

Loosen the triangle clamp. Now bolt up the wheel which will pull the column back up and give a snug fit. Then tighten the triangle clamp and lock its nut/bolt. If there is not enough of the triangle sticking out to clamp up on, it can be pulled out a bit although it is a very tight sliding fit in the column.

Nigel

Guest tom-zero

Big thankyou for everyones response went to my local scrappy today and got the plastic ring, undone the other joints and put the wheel on, done it all back up and its spot on now. big thanks to everyone who replied i honestly dont no how i would build one of these without the help of this forum

Thanks again Tom