Rebuild Started.....

Guest RoborRoss

Guest RoborRoss

......well, not a complete rebuild, more like taking care of the bits that need it while the panels are being painted.

The plan is to:

1: Beef up the angle iron that the rear shocks are mounted to (tip courtesy of Rich)

2: Get the 5-10m machined of the rear alloys so they fit and don't rub the arch. (tip courtesy of Dan)

3: 'u' bolt the 'roll' bar to the angle iron/rear shock mount (again, thanks for the tip Rich)

4: Frame to mount the seats (they were just bolted to the floor pan)

5: Anti-roll bar conversion.

6: Beef up the wishbone mounts (to prevent cracking)

7: Beef up the front shock mounts (to prevent cracking)

and oddly.....

8: Literally as I was drilling the first pop rivet out, there was a clunk and the car lurched. Handbrake cable snapped. I was not using a 1 meter drill bit, so I didn't drill through it!

Other than the cost of painting, its mainly time to do it and I have all winter, so is there anything else I should really do while this is being done?

Question: panel bond adhesive, the type that cures like rubber? What is a decent brand? I don't want to use anything that dries out and cracks.

Ta

Rob

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with your rebuild Rob. I will be starting my 3A rebuild shortly (well, when my wife has finished giving me more redecorating jobs!). Rear end first, then the front. redo the dashboard in between those. Mine has similar problems to yours at the rear including the seat mounting.

Guest RoborRoss

My other neighbor (not the oil pressure guy!) told me about Wurth panel bond so I'll try and find that from somewhere.

Will probably take you up on the offer of the machining Rich, for the antiroll-bar conversion. Don't fancy my chances of drilling and tapping it here!

Already regretting staring it though as she's off the road now :-( Probably going to pull MANY late nights and get her back on the road before the end of the year (or month).

And you know what, I took the clamshell's off and sat the cycle-arch's on the wheel first to see if I liked it, and I prefer the clamshells. Well, I dont drive fast enough for them to give me a lift problem!

So, a set cycle arches going if anyone wants them?

Guest RoborRoss

I just want it back on the road!!!! :-)

Was going to sorn until April, but I just cant wait that long! Especially when I get the panels back from the painters!

The rubbing of the break line looks quite fresh, and its on the drivers side. I must be carring a bit more lard than the previous owner!