2B Bonnet Fixing

Guest red-col

Guest red-col

Hi All,

I am looking at fitting the original bonnet and nosecone onto my 2b however I am unsure how to hinge it.

When I purchased the car it was fitted with the nose/bonnet/scuttle from another kit but came with the original 2b bonnet/nose joined together and the scuttle separate. If possible I want to keep the scuttle to be permanently fixed and for the bonnet/nose cone to open up to gain access underneath, I don't mind if that is hinged at the nose cone or the bonnet. Is this possible? have people done this and have pictures so I can see of how this is done?

The other option is to leave the bonnet/nose fixed together and have the whole thing removable as and when I need to gain access under the bonnet. Although not the best option it would be the easiest as there are already 4 locator pins for the bonnet and would just need to do something similar for the nose.

I don't want to separate the bonnet/nose if possible as they are riveted together and it would obviously leave holes where the rivets were.

anyway any ideas about how to fix it all on would be greatly appreciated!

Dean

Can remember how many times Ian & Carole and I have posted on this topic as we both have similar solutions to the problem :)

mine is slightly different as it isn't hinged so depends what you want. I've done a video here (isn't exactly speilburg)

Hope you find it useful. Do a search on here though as there are numerous threads on it with other ways as well, including hinged forward versions.

hth

Lift off bonnet on mine, but it's hinged down the middle witha long piano hinge so I can also open each side individually. Nose cone also hinges forwards with the bonnet removed so I can access the rad and I used Screwfix lift-off stainless steel hinges so with the nose cone hinged forwards, I can silde it to the side about 40mm and remove it completely from the car.

I thought about fixing the bonnet to the nose cone and hinging the whole lot forward but the nose cone is too flimsy to support the weight of the bonnet. As I'd also already fixed the 2 together, I covered the screw holes with a thin push-on rubber edge trim (also stops the bonnet chattering on the nose cone).