Fuel Tank Leak

Al Milton

Having brackets welded to the side of the tank Bob for fixing via bolts to a stainless cradle which straddles the 2 chassis tubes that form the spare wheel carrier.

Will fit an earth bond to one of these when fitting the tank as tank will be sitting on some 7mm rubber anti vibration matting.

Seemed the easiest and flexible option Bob, I hadn't forgotton about earthing

Granny & suck egg time --- the earth bond should not be part of any other fixing system --ie the bond mustl not be broken if fixing bolts are/become loose or are removed. The bond should be a stand-alone electrica connection to the chassis. Very picky I know but a poor bond is no bond.

Not sure if I shoudl start a new thread or hijack yours... I've opted for hijack!

Also on the subject of fuel tank leaks, does anyone have problem with the petrol coming out of the breather hole in the filling pipe when chucking the car about? I managed 2 or 3 autotests yesterday before the boot was literally awash with petrol. It explains the constant smell of fuel since having the car, and probably explains the intermittent fuel pump cut off (being filled with petrol =@ ). I'm really hoping that its a case of the fuel sloshing about and forcing its way out of a less than perfect marriage at the filler/tank join or breather, and not a split tank. The fuel ends up in the boot mostly, rather than coming out of the bottom, which suggests it must be the breather pipe? Doesn't come out when standing still.

How essential is the breather pipe? I'm thinking a quick fix is to simply blank it off.

Thanks chaps, sorry for hijack Mr Milton!

Don't worry about the hijack!!

If you blank the breather then you will get an air lock in the tank, resulting in a stalled engine (eventually).

The job of the breather is to vent the tank, basically to allow air to replace fuel removed as you drive.

Fit a fuel tank breather valve, which allow air in/out, but have a seal (usually a ball bearing type thing), that shuts the vent in the event of fuel working up the breather pipe in the event of 'vigorous' driving or worse inversion of the car as a result of a tragic accident.

I have something something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank-Breather-Non-Return-Valve-BriSCA-F2-Safety-/330812386389?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d05f46c55