Vin Plate

Guest JammyJim

Guest Alan_builder

I am sorry there are so many fingers in this pie confusing the information.

Answer No, no other plate needed!

Explanation

Just to add a twist to this topic, I purchased a VIN plate from GBSC stamped up to the year 2000 when the chassis was manufactured and incorpareted the year 2011 into the vin number after doing many mod's to the chassis before powder coating.

There is no compulsion to IVA or register a car once is is built within a period of time. ((When the aforesaid is undertaken it will need to meet the current regulations.)(stated for the pedantic)).

So am I wrong in thinking that this would not be acceptable for IVA or DVLA or do I have to get another plate with the year of manufacture as 2013 when it all should be ready for IVA?

Yes you are wrong in thinking that this would not be acceptable for IVA or DVLA.

If you fit a VIN plate it should be complete (all the information) for IVA (otherwise your car is incomplete). For DVLA the date of manufacture must be prior to the date of registration and you could run into a problem if this is not prior to the date of your IVA. ((I have not fully checked the requirements of a VIN plate being required, it makes life easy for the IVA tester who will / should check the number stamped in the chassis unless the VIN plate is non-removable so the vehicle can't be ringed). (stated for the pedantic)).

Remember you are dealing with paperwork departments (some of the time) and they check paperwork for errors and against VIN plates. If it matches and is in sequence then no problem.

I'm very interested in this topic having passed the IVA earlier this month and waiting for registration with a car with no date of manufacture on the manufacturers plate fitted to the car when it passed.

So using the skills from the day job I have read the IVA manual, (and updated the link in the IVA section).

I'm now happy that my plate with only the VIN number completed has correctly passed the IVA test.

Please see the manual section 18

18.6. All plate(s) must be indelibly marked with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) which matches the number marked into the vehicle structure and is displayed in the correct order. (See below and notes 1,

2 & 5).

VOSA MOTOR INC Name of manufacturer

e1*2007/46*0291*02 Approval No. and/or Build Stage No.

3GPG918009BS51312 Vehicle Identification Number

1500 kg Maximum permitted laden mass of vehicle

2500 kg Maximum permitted laden mass for the

combination where the vehicle is used for

towing

1 – 730 kg Maximum permitted laden road mass for

2 – 810 kg each axle, listed in order from front to rear

"Note 2: Maximum permitted laden masses are not required to be

displayed but if present should be listed in the order as shown in RS6"

Date of manufacture is not mentioned.