Pinto Water Pump Shaft

cb750

Anybody shortened the the Pinto waterpump shaft back to the pulley face (it sticks out proud when you remove the standard fan) - if so, how? Trying to fit an upgraded alloy radiator and I need to get a bit more clearance between the radiator electric fan and the water pump. Alternative is to fit the radiator in the nosecone area (RH 3A) are there problems in doing this? Rad has no filler so no problem there.

Guest mower man

As Nick says there is a non vicous fan pump available . I actually cut the nose off the pump with a 1mm sliting dic on the angry grinder for the same reason but when/if the pump needs changing I will use the non viscous fan type . merry christmas mowerman [mick]

Thanks for the replies! That's something I've learned about Pinto water pumps. Had another look and I think things are still going to be tight for clearance. The rad is a new Radtec universal (Polo type) alloy rad with new Spal slimline fan bought at a very low price as the owner didn't want it. The rad on its own is 60mm thick including the mountings then you have to add on the fan thickness. I spent part of the day removing the nosecone and found the rad will drop straight in with no clearance problems. The radtec has the inlet and outlet pipes on the left. Top hose passes over the front "beam" and the bottom hose will go through what I think is the hole where a left hand steering version column would pass (remember its a 3A). So, "just" have to make 2 good brackets and some gap filler plates (to force the air through the rad and I think every thing will be fine. Only problem left is telling the wife she won't be able to see the nice shiny radiator that she likes so much!