Geometry And Engine Set Up

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Rallyreason

Nearly come to the end of my winter Zetec upgrade. Turned the key yesterday and all fired up after the second attempt.

I have a few electrical niggles and a few small bits to finish. Once these are done i will need:

- full geometry set up( i dont think this has ever been done on my car)

- Possible full engine dyno. I am running blacktop Zetec with ZX9 bike carbs and MJL ignition.

I may take the car to GBS for the geometry? Any recommendations?What is a good price?

Tuning wise i may get a AFR Wide band kit and Carb tune and do it myself. (i enjoy this kind of thing) Other option is to have it done by someone else? Any recommendations? What is a good price?

Guest Rallyreason

Where are ProComp located?

I have read good reports of Torque Tune. What sort of prices for a full set up?

I am based in Leicestershire, so the closer the better.

Guest Rallyreason

CMA - Thanks for the information.

The geometry is my main concern first.

GBS have estimated around 4-5 hours depending how far out it is. I find it hard paying for something i can do personally if i only had the kit.

If you do end up taking it somewhere I can recommend Centre Gravity near Atherstone - little bit closer for you. Didn't do my Hood (although lord knows I'm toying with the idea!) but I've had discussions with him about my other car and he's very knowledgeable, respected in his field (particularly with Porsches) and has all the kit. Prices you'd have to discuss with him.

http://www.centergravity.co.uk/

He really takes time to listen to you, understand how you want the car to handle, and tailor his recommendations/work to what you ask for.

Cheers,

Dan

Guest alfaGTA

No harm in having a blast at it yourself! As always keep a note pad close and record what changes you have made then go out for a drive and see how it feels....... if its worse then you can return to original settings and nothing lost.

Some bedtime reading for you as a general baseline

http://westfield-world.com/suspension.html

I have heard that a suspension guru visits Blyton park on some days so might be worth getting your car set up to your standards then on the track day he may be there to make some fine adjustments? Also worth taking your spanner set with you to Blyton as there will be a wealth of adjustments to be made due to track testing.

As our cars are so light minor adjustments can make significant handling changes.

Getting a professional setup on suspension is a must IMO. Making string gauges is surely a joke when adjustments of half a degree may make a difference. Fine for a crude setup for driving to a professional outfit to get the job done.

No mention of starting with an absolutely horizontal floor. Think one degree slope and your front camber measures 0 on one wheel and -2 on the other even tho both are accurately set to -1. Bump steer checks. Castor. Corner weighting. Chassis trueness. Same again for the rear suspension.

If you are serious about suspension setup then it makes sense to hire the knowledge and experience to get it done. Professional equipment, professional operator to use it. If you can ask a question like 'What effect will reducing rear toe in by half a degree have?' and get a sensible answer you may be talking to the right people. Otherwise you might as well go to Kwick Fit.

Nigel