Ecu

Guest filwaf

Guest filwaf

Hi Guys,

Has anyone done any work on comparing different ECU systems? I am currently doing a budgeting exercise before spending my hard earned lolly and would like to know members oppinions of various systems ( e.g Emerald Vs dunnell cfms etc etc ).

Thanks.

Guest alfaGTA

As has been said above, it really depends what you want it to do. Emerald and Omex are probably the best known and have a very good reputation and you shouldn't have any issues finding a "tuning house" to perform any mapping you might need, the others may be more difficult to find a tuner willing to work with it. Also consider if for some reason the ECU decides to stop working-where would you get it repaired? Omex and Emerald also appear in the 2nd hand market more often.

Hi Fil, I can only speak from experience with the Emerald ECU, but from what I've heard I would agree with AlfaGTA's comments. Also I have found Emerald vey helpful when I've contacted them with queries. There software seems pretty comprehensive too.

I've worked on Emerald and a rather obtuse system, EFI Technologies, mainly used in motorsport (big with touring cars). It's only when you've used something like the EFI that you realise what a joy the Emerald software is. The ECUs themselves are very comprehensive and there's not much to separate them (the EFI seems a bit more robust maybe, I suspect it's slightly higher quality inside but couldn't verify) but feature-wise they're very similar - in fact the Emerald promises new features with firmware upgrade in the future, like traction control. What sets them apart in my experience is the software, and the availability of the skills out there. Also, the Emerald is mappable from your laptop using a simple serial/USB interface, whereas EFI make you splash out on a £500 USB<->CAN interface of theirs before you can work on it.

Groan.

Go with something mainstream and popular. The ECU feature list isn't the be-all-and-end-all; if you can't find someone to work on it it'll cost you in the long run!

Guest filwaf

Hi Guys, thanks for your comments. As you may have guessed, I am new to car building, so I was only really interested in how easy the electronic side of things are to set up. I may in ( when it is built ) consider hill climbs or similar activities so I will be lookin for a little flexability perhaps.

Regards.

Guest filwaf

Thanks guys, I was hoping for a "plug and play" option but many of the systems seem to recomend a rolling road session after you you get the car running. Is this always the case ?

Guest filwaf

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of worst case scenario !!. Looks like I will have to factor in a rolling road sessionto be on the safe side. I have my engine ( a new zetec from GBS ) and would not like to be buying a new one any time soon !!

Speak to Emerald and ask if they have a base map close to the spec of whatever lump you're fitting. If so, fitting a wide-band lambda and using the self-learn facility is perfectly achievable if you can read and follow a set of instructions, so don't worry too much about it. If you're seeking the last 1% of horse power then yes, you need to factor in a rolling road session, but if you've got time and patience you can get the engine running perfectly well yourself 'at home', so to speak (ok, out on the road, but you know what I meant ;) ).

Guest filwaf

Hi CMA,

I am hoping to go with the AT throttle bodies so my best option will probably be the Emerald ECU with the engine loom from GBS so there will be no anomalies when it all goes together. I also like the idea from BRUMSTER about having a go at setting up myself ( with the aid of the self learning and the wide band lambda ). Must remembers to ensure there is a connection on the exhaust.

Thanks.

Guest ianjenn

A rolling road at AB garages will only cost £100 and it will be set up properly, what's more it will be a thoroughly enjoyable day. I would do that first. Wiring is straight forward which ever route you take. I sent you a pm with my email if you want to arrange to come and see my emerald set up