Anyone Tried 13" Wheels On A Zero?

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Rallyreason

I am looking at changing my current Wheels (see wanted ad for wheels) and i wondering has anyone tried running 13" rims instead of the 15" that are recommended by GBS?

I know 15" may look better (fill the arches more) but has anyone got any photo's of their car with 13" and 15" rims fitted so that i can see the difference. I don't want the wheels to look lost.

If you have tried both sizes, have you noticed a difference in driving? Would you go for 7j rear and 6j front? What tyre size is best for this combination?

At present the i run 15 x 6.5 (can use 7j) et 15 and 195/50/15 all round. I have always questioned why the Zero runs the same size all round when most others have wider rears compared to front.

caterhams run 13's on some models don't they (edit - realise from above they don't fit)? and 14 (which might fit)on others. could try google images to see how they look on the caterham as there are sure to be loads of images.

as for wider rears, i am probably wrong, but i believe that manufacturers fit them so that they understeer first (less grip on the front than the rear) as this is safer than oversteer in most instances. could be wrong though.

Edited by agent_zed

Guest alfaGTA

Alan, i went from 195/50/15 all round to 185/60/13 toyo R888's all round (gives me the option to rotate rims to allow for wear, the fronts wear faster as they are doing the braking and the turning)

Width wise i think they are perfect being slightly narrower but a higher grade tyre so overall improvement in grip, also lighter rim and tyre leaving less un-sprung weight and improved handling plus the larger profile is more comfortable on the road.

As Nick mentioned the lower wishbone design fouls the inner edge of the 13" rim and a spacer would be too big i think.

Guest alfaGTA

plenty of 15" ford fitment rim's knocking about, some will be very heavy though but for track slag rim's even steel wheels might do.... Federal rsr's get a good rating for price vs grip or keep an eye on ebay for a 2nd hand set, I've got 4 trackdays out of my part worn 888's with life left in most of them. Wouldn't bother with the Yoko parada spec 2's for fast track use imo

Guest Rallyreason

Already keeping an eye out for a used set of track tyres and yes there is plenty of Ford fitment alloys. The difficult part is trying to get the correct offset. Would be nice to not have to use spacers.

Got Prada 2 on at the moment. Great all round tyre, but started to struggle a bit on the track though.

Thanks for the offer of trying your wheels, but it looks 100% that the lower mounting bolt will catch anything smaller than 15".