Sliding Pillar 2B Steering Issues

FERRINO

Evening all – hopefully there are some sliding pillar 2B experts out there who can help me with this as it’s doing my Swede in now lol!

Since buying the heap of a partially built sliding pillar 2B I’ve removed the 1.6 Emax motor and replaced with Derek Overfields 2.0 efi package (cheers again Derek).

IMG_5370_zps28022178.jpg

Decided to tackle the Steering/pedal box first so I can at least manouvre the thing around a little easier. I watched the build DVD several times and have attempted to follow the instructions and see what's what. I was very lucky to have been given some pedals already cut/shut by Derek which fit my footwell perfectly and allow the pedals to operate properly. The footwell panel already had 2 holes drilled in them by the previous builder. One goes between the brake and throttle and the other is hidden behind the brake pedal with this setup.

After buying a Sierra Intermediate shaft and modding it as per the DVD - I hammered the other end onto the stubby shaft from the rack (which I'm assuming is the upside down Metro rack??) and connected to the triangle uj. There was no way on earth the 2 peices were going to tighten together as they hit the straight tube frame section which rises up from the rack position and becomes the steering column support. The only way I could get the shaft bolted up was to rotate the steering rack round around a bit to 'raise up' the rack connection stub. I've stuck a spacer underneath for the time being but do you need to fabricate a tapered wedge for this rack setup?

ABOVE_VIEW_zps9ff68d39.jpg

FRONT_1_zpsc0f31e44.jpg

FROM_LEFT_zps5e27be70.jpg

RACK_TAPER_1_zpsdcd88a0d.jpg

RACK_TAPER_2_zps7c85ef16.jpg

On the subject of the rack, I set it to it's centre position in terms of 'turns' on the input shaft. I also checked the adjustment thread was equal lengths at the tie rod ends and the clamp for the rack on the drivers side doesn't line up with the 'pre drilled' holes? As you can see from the pic its about 10-15mm to the right when viewed from the front? The position looks about right as if i put it in the pre drilled hole position the UJ is far too close to the frame riser so there would be no chance whatsoever of the steering column fitting.

OFFSET_HOLES_zps5573c535.jpg

FROM_TOP_zps0daca0db.jpg

Can anybody shed some light on all this at all please? From watching the build DVD I was expecting this to not be too bad - but I'm having to lift/move/adjust/bodge so much stuff that I'm beginning to think I must be doing something horrifically wrong somewhere?

Any advice or help gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Tony :)

• Like 1

Guest phill h

Hi dont concider my self as an expert but i just had kind of the same problem but I fitted zero pedal box I found if you reverse the steering column mount do the hole for the rack is towards the front this gives you a bit more movement in rack. I also cut the shaft on the rack down where the column mounts so could move the column down more. I have also spaced mine up but not as much as you can send some pictures if you want? And yes it is a metro rack. Have you modified you pillar surpension if not i would recommend it, pm me for info can send pictures.

Phill

Guest clive5550

hi tony ive looked at my sliding pillar and my column has no joiner where yours is halfway down the column, mine comes through the bulkhead into the triangle bush to a uj fitting, then a short splined section into a square block with a pinch bolt then it runs right down to just before the rack with another uj connecting onto the rack. my rack sits on small ali blocks hope this helps clive

Many thanks for the replies and help everyone - its very much appreciated.

It seems that I wasn't given that important steering column part then with my kit as both Phill and Clive have the same one piece shaft with the big steel pinch block.

I have to wonder what RS was talking about then on the build DVD's as he clearly shows that you mod the Sierra Intermediate shaft and bolt it to the stub on the rack?? :huh:

It would be fantastic if you did have a spare column I could buy off you Bob - you would be a lifesaver and I would owe you several beers :drinks:

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

just on my way out to post the column via HERMES,

should be 2-3 working days.

Call it £5, I will text my address

Good luck! Bob

Can anyone post up a pic of a complete sliding pillar column???

I dont think my bit will completely solve Tony's problem...

Many thanks for that Bob - you are a star! As I said in txt - will pop the money in the post for you at lunchtime :)

I've attached (hopefully if it's worked) the picture Phill kindly sent me of his sliding pillar rack below. It looks like I just need to cut the triangle clamp bit off my existing Sierra joint and clamp + weld it into the pinch block as below?

Cheers again everybody for all the help. This club is awesome :D

• Like 1