Another Quick Release Wheel Hub Thread....

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I looked through loads of threads and to be honest am none the wiser on what to do next....

I want to replace the small dia Mountney wheel on my Hood with a new slightly larger wheel and quick release boss.

This is what I have at the moment (centre removed so I could see the bolts inside):-

8CBE05B6-BCBB-4AD9-80D0-65C3A18C10CC-2046-000002059684148A_zpsfda9ccee.jpg

B63E1008-16CC-4F3F-A67C-143F54781AD0-2046-00000205C44FEF2A_zps95985d86.jpg

Rather than bolting a quick release boss onto the Mountney boss, I would rather replace the existing boss with a new quick release boss that fits directly to the sierra steering spline.....

Any body have any suggestions / options to help me figure it out. I would rather not go down the option of welding a unit onto the sierra spline.

I am happy that the wheel may extend more into the car, but as the current boss is pretty deep, I am sure I could find something that will be roughly the same depth

I have not chosen a wheel yet, so bolt pattern of the boss is open

Dave

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shaggy

Dave,

I have a QR boss, but its a cut and shut operation, as in fact most of them are. Picked it up from a trade stall 3 years ago, but never got round to fitting it. Let me know if interested.

Si

I believe snap-off boss is available for sierra spline, used to have one on a tintop for security and from memory the boss will be about the same depth as the one shown (same as mine) means you can also keep stalk controls and centre horn.

I used to have a momo wheel on mine but you do need to buy a seperate adaptor plate for your chosen wheel.

that's the quick release I got I rang burton power got a standard boss which fits the quick release for think it was £40 but I rang them and spoke to someone and explained what I had and told them the pdc and they was very helpfull still waiting on fathers day present though my new steering wheel lol item no 171030245394

Guest david_l_perry

Thanks for that. As I am fitting a new wheel anyway, I don't need to match anything in particular.

My preference would be to replace the existing boss, rather than bolt on another to the mountney if I can find something.

That blog link would be what I will do if I keep the existing boss, I just think there must be something out there as a direct splined connection that replaces my existing boss, rather than welding on or bolting on to the existing.

Dave

Guest peter2b2002

i used a quick release boss bolted to the mountney hub then made an adapter plate to allow me to fit a momo wheel( diagram for the hole pcd's is in woolies catalog i think)

peter2b

Guest david_l_perry

Got the existing boss removed and as I thought, it was in two parts.

Go a new single unit boss, quick release boss and larger wheel ordered and will post results and pictures when its all done.

Should all look a little neater than the existing split bosses.

Looking forward to driving with a slightly larger wheel. The existing one is only 280mm and although I am used to it, it is somewhat like trying to steer with a small button. The one I ordered is 340mm.

Will see he it all goes

Guest david_l_perry

Nice one.

Still waiting for my new wheel to turn up

Got the boss and quick release unit....bit of a bitch without the wheel.

Guest david_l_perry

Looks to be exactly the same as the one I have sat in the garage waiting for my wheel to arrive.....

Any unwanted movement / give on the removable hub - or does it all feel nice and solid ?

Dave