Tacho Wiring

Guest robbie

Guest robbie

Hi guys, I have searched the forum but can't find what i'm looking for, hope you can help.

I cannot work out how to wire the rev counter up. I have located two green wires at the back of the instrument cluster and believe these to be for the rev counter.

On the vicky green loom I have one green wire and one white and brown wire that seem to be redundant?

There is a white/black wire that goes from ign coil back to the loom. I have a standard dizzy(amp built in) with one brown wire(earth) one green wire and one black wire.

Any one have a simple plan as to how this lot should be wired from coil to dizzy to rev counter.

I have tried a few variations but the needle bounces about at 3-4K revs regardless?

Thanks for listening!

Regards

Robbie

Guest robbie

Thanks Jim, the colours match (unlike VG loom plan!) I have two greens though, are these both common? If I have this right the green would go to -VE side of coil and that should be all I need? All the other connections are already feeding the instrument panel?

Is the earth also a common earth in the panel?

Thanks again.

Best regards

Robbie

PS Car starting to run lot better with different stat and carbs adjusted. Thanks for your help there too!

Guest Fred2b

There are deffinately two light green wires to the back of the instrument cluster. Both are joined at the plug but one goes to the coil and the other I think goes to the ignition module.

Fred

The same earth that does the instruments lights also earths the voltage regulator, revcounter and main beam warning light and possibly indicator warning lamps if your dash has two of them.

The two greens coming from the same contact on the instrument plug (87-89 models), one is simply wired from neg side of coil to bring signal to the rev counter, the other feeds the kickdown relay (which is redundant unless you're building an automatic!)

Look carefully and clean the wires as there are green/brown wires lurking in the instrument plug to confuse. The dizzy wires should be brown, black/red and green/yellow when clean if its a Hall effect dizzy with a separate amp but I haven't come across one from a sierra with the amp built in to the dizzy.

Nigel

Long surf boards. Just had my 40th surfing anniversary. Bought my first board in 1964 and spent last weekend riding rubbish Gwithian, nostalgic Poldhu and Magic Gwenver. Offshore three foot perfection. Then watched from the cliffs as a pod of dolphins come in at Gwenver and showed us how it should be done. Best bank holiday in years.

Nigel