2.0 Dohc No Spark

Guest Neil 64

Guest Neil 64

Hello everyone,

I'm currently doing a 2b that I bought supposedly 90% complete. Having stripped it down and redone the brake/fuel pipes etc, fitted the pedal box and so on I'm now up to the wiring.

I've bought a loom from Rapidfit Looms which is fine and the chap that sold is very helpful on the phone, my problem is that the previous owner had started to butcher the old engine/EECIV loom. I've managed to get hold of the Ford service books and after hours of tracing the wires I'm fairly confident it's all wired correctly. Only problem is I can't get a spark, not exactly a small problem!!

Has anyone done one of these engines and would you know if there is something simple I'm overlooking?

Any help would be very much appreciated but be warned once I've found someone that knows a bit about them I could become a nuiscence.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Neil 64

Thanks for your replies, I've updated my profile now to show where I am, I'm in Shrewsbury.

Yes I have power to the coil and going through it to the EDIS (I think that's what it's called). I've just changed the dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads & plugs but still no joy. I have a new coil on order which should be here tomorrow I hope so that will take all of that lot out of the equation.

Neil see andys / Grims post here

aa guide to a pinto electronice http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=37119&st=15

very sim to yours

The crank sensor ( below the oil filter ) is a bit exposed on a dohc could be playing up

i may have an ecu in the shed i do think I have a coil as well.

Stephen

Guest Neil 64

Thanks Stephen, how do you check the crank sensor or is it just a case of getting a new one to eliminate it as the problem?

As I say I've got a coil hopefully coming tomorrow but if all else fails I might be back to you for the ECU.

Not to sure but if 2 wires should give a pulse as engine is cranked over. Try omes on pins to se if it will switch / pulse

it is in a very vunedable postion with the oil fillter easy to knock when changing filter .

other thing is check the contunity from sensors to the pins on the ecu plug i may have a some thing with what pin is what but the haynes man has them.

What col is your grp is a dohc kit?

Stephen

Guest Neil 64

Ok cheers, I'll see how I get on when new coil arrives first. I've got the Ford service books which has the ECU pins in it, that's how I've managed to trace the wires so shouldn't be too dificult to find which is for the crank sensor. I've been reading old posts on here and it seems a few people had the same problem and most were a missing or dodgy earth, I've looked at it so many times now I find it hard to believe there is anything I haven't checked and double checked but it's worth another look I reckon.

Not sure what you mean "What col is your grp is a dohc kit?"

All the dohc 2 B kits came with one choice of GRP purple.

A special chassi for this engine with a lowered floor and difrent rear subframe mountings. Better front wisbone set up as top mounted diffrent, the chassi has a kink down at the nose top mounting and a section of box tube welded on top to take head light mounts.

Stephen

Guest Neil 64

Really getting fed up now, I've spent all day checking wiring and still no sign of a spark. I've checked all the pins to the ECU are wired to the correct places, the igniton module wiring is all correct, I've had an LED wired in to check the CPS is working, power to the coil, all power to correct pins on ECU and earths. New dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs & coil. Engine earth is really good now too. I haven't a clue, could it be the ignition module? The LED was flashing on the wire coming from the ECU to the module but I can't see how I can test it going to the coil. I can't help thinking it's something simple but I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone know if I can swap a Motorcraft module for an Intermotor one as I can't find the right one anywhere. The part number is:86FB-12A297-AA.