Anodized Brake Hose

deano266

Does anyone know where to get anodized brake hoses from. We want them to come from the brake reservoir just to improve the general look of the engine bay. If there aren't any anodized ones what are the best ones to get to avoid leaks and corrosion.

Hi,

don't think you can anodize copper due to its properties. Brake pipe is also not pure copper so probably even worse. Anodizing is electrically oxydizing the surface layer and seeing as copper goes brown-green it probably wouldn't come out that nice if it even works.

So you can either cover it, paint it or try and keep it polished (brasso?).

You shouldn't get corrosion to the extent that it will affect the integrity of the pipe unless you are dropping something corrosive on the pipes. My copper brake pipe has been in the car for 5 years and other than turning a slightly darker browny colour shows no signs of corrosion that would remotely affect it.

You could go with steel pipes like production cars and have it painted put then you do run the risk of proper corrosion. The copper pipe i used had a rated burst pressure of 8000psi so don't think i'd worry about it breaking. Just make sure you have a good flaring tool as its most likely to break at the joint.

HTH

is that for the reservoir pipes or for the pipes to the calipers as we want it for the reservoir pipes

Yeah the reservoir pipes will be fixed copper brake pipe (clipped at regular intervals - think i did 6inches but check iva for specs) and between the bodywork (end of fixed copper pipe) and the calipers will be flexible rubber pipes (which can be covered with shinny braiding as per snapperpauls post).

if you look on here you will see the copper brake pipe http://www.nfauto.co.uk/brake_flaring_tool.htm They actually have a copper/nickel pipe which looks shinier if thats what you are after. If you keep it polished it will prob stay shinny but better to drive the car than polish under the bonnet :)

Edited by agent_zed