Tin Top Question

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

I recently changed the front brake pads and discs on my ford ka ( don't laugh!) and ever since the brakes have been a bit naff, I've bled the system through, and the pedal is rock hard with the engine off and there's no sponginess, as soon as you start the engine the pedal sinks and you can just about get it to hit the floor, there is pressure in the pedal but not a massive amount, the brakes work I'm just don't like the travel before you get a bit of pressure, I was thinking the master cylinder might be on the way out, I'm also not leaking any fluid and the rubber hoses are in good nick...

Guest zerorace

sometimes when you push the caliper piston into the caliper when the fluid is pushed back it can turn the seals in the master cylinder, might be worth put a new set of seals in the master cylinder

I had similar on a saab.

When I went back a realy looked I had fitted the pad clips the wrong way round and they were holding the pads twisted.

Without the servo not enough force to square the pads, with the servo pedal almost to the floor before realy biteing.

As changeing the pads checking that they are realy back as they should be is the first check.

-Ian