2B, Project Re-Start. What Wheels And Tyres?

Guest charliemi16

Guest mower man

I personaly would not run spacers , I 've seen ofsets from 0 to 38 sizes from 13 to 17 widths from 5to 8 tyres from 175 to 225 and aspect ratios from 70 to 35 ,it can be a mine feild! . I run 15 x6 with et 38 mounting 205 x50 tires , this is a popular combo run by quite a few people hth mower man the car is an s7 mono coque , 2b etc may vary!! :search:

Guest charliemi16

Hi Mowerman,

Thanks. I'm leaning towards 6J x 15, also with 205/50's. The thing I'm trying to establish is what the right offset is for a sliding pillar 2B. It's a bit of a balancing act between clearance to the front shocks, and them sitting right within the rear arches. At the moment, I'm leaning towards circa +25mm.

Any help from 2B owners who've already tackled this issue would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Charlie

When my car was a sliding pillar I had 5.5J 14 inch rims fitted with 185/60/14 tyres front & rear.

They had ET 38 offset & I needed 5mm spacers & longer studs to miss the spring.

I also carved the rim from hardish cornering.

I agree 15s would be better to try & avoid the bottom bolt carving the rim.

But I imagine wider rims would need a different offset...cant help with calculation tho' sorry.

This may help....

http://www.willtheyf...0&Submit=Submit

Ive input my setup you just need to input what size you want & adjust the offset.

Can you get a horizontal measurement from the outside of the hub (the wheel fitting face) to the spring?

I think that would let you make comparisons between different rims?

Best of luck, Bob

Guest charliemi16

Evening,

Bob, thanks for the response, and the link, both very helpful.

Having taken some measurements, and tried a couple more wheels on, I think I can get away with an offset of up to 30mm and still have clearance to the front suspension on a 6Jx15 rim. However, I think the tyre may sit a little closer, and I'm not sure exactly how much. I'm thinking of running 195/50's, but guess different tyre brands will vary in their dimensions, and hence distance to the suspension. Any advice?

Another problem I've got, is that if I run the same 30mm offset at the rear, the rim will sit outside the wheel arch by between 5 & 10mm. Besides looking odd, I'm guessing this will be an IVA/MOT failure. Does anyone know what the regs are?

Considering all of the above, it's pointing me down one of the following routes:

1. Run staggered wheels, with a higher rear offset.

2. Run wheels that suit the rear, and use spacers to bring the front out, clear of the suspension.

3. Fit wider rear arches.

I can't help thinking that this shouldn't be such a big problem to solve, and that plenty of 2B builders must have already got round this, so I'm still here, begging people to let me know what they're running.

The measurements from the standard RHE engineering rims would still be very useful if someone can let me know? Please.

Thanks

Charlie

Hi Charlie...the rims I quoted were the ones supplied by RHE to fit a sliding pillar 2B in 2000.

They have supplied a number of different wheels over the years...RHE & "standard" rarely go together...

My advice would be to stick with 4 identical rims, probably with ET35 or 38 & use a thin (5mm) spacer to clear the front spring.

Apart from anything else it simplifies the spare wheel.

but guess different tyre brands will vary in their dimensions, and hence distance to the suspension.

They certainly shouldnt.....

Bob

Guest charliemi16

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the prompt response. So the RHE wheels were 14"? I was under the impression that they were 15" alloys, from other posts?

ET 35-38 would help with my rear arch issue. I'm never 100% happy with spacers, hence why I'm trying to resolve without.

Regarding the tyres, I wasn't referring to width, or sidewall height, but more whether some sidewalls "balloon" more than others. This might be a problem if so, if clearance to the suspension is tight.

They have supplied a number of different wheels over the years...RHE & "standard" rarely go together...

The sliding pillar chassis came with 14" "turbo" wheels. They went to 15" "aray" when they fitted wishbones.

They always supplied whatever they could buy in bulk

I am never happy with spacers either, but 5mm wont make any appreciable difference, & far better than having a moving tyre catch on a stationary part

of the chassis.

Guest TerryBarry

The kit came with optional wider wings – I don’t know by how much

As fitted there is 195mm of stainless wing with the outer GRP edge beyond that.

Total width from the body panel is 250mm at the top of the arch, this being the narrowest point.

The front cycle wings are 235 mm wide.

Tyres are 195.50 R 15 this being closest rolling radius to the original Sierra tyres.

There is plenty of over-hang with this set up.

Cheers,

Terry