2B, Project Re-Start. What Wheels And Tyres?

Guest charliemi16

Guest charliemi16

Afternoon all,

I'm picking up on my 2B build that I started years ago.

I'm running the old sliding pillars and will do until I get round to a wishbone conversion, and I'm wondering:

What wheels and tyre sizes are people running with this set up? What's the best for ride and handling? Do 15's spoil it? Etc.

My biggest concern is making sure the tyres have a good clearance to the shocks and upper shock mounting plates on the front. At the moment I've got the steel wheels from the donor sierra on, with 195/60/14 tyres, and clearance is tight.

Any advice on wheel size, tyre size/profile, wheel offset, whether you run spacers, whether you need longer studs etc would be gratefully received. Pics of wheels on cars, clearances etc would also be very useful.

Thanks guys

Charlie

Guest nippynick

My super spec is on standard alloy rims supplied by RHE using 205/50/15 tyres and the ground clearance is about as low as i want it to be see the picture on my profile its buttock clenchingly tight at times on the open road so be careful before settling down to 14inch rims.

Guest chris brown

You will get away with 14" steels but will need 15" for allys but you do need the correct offset and it still will be very close. People have been known to cut rather nasty groves in there wheels.

Guest charliemi16

Thanks for the quick replies, appreciate it.

So, Nick, what ground clearance do you have, and where are you measuring this from? Do you know the clearance from the bottom of the body side to the floor?

Chris, thanks for response. Do you have, or can anyone tell me what offset they're running with 15" alloys?

Cheers

38ET is standard for the sierra. The zeros run different offset at 15ET

It doesn't really matter if its 14 or 15 inch in terms of ride height as you would have a higher sidewall on the 14s so the overall height would be the same. The problem you have is that the way the front sus works means it needs as much room within the wheel as you can get, so 15s would be better.

hth

can anyone tell me what offset they're running with 15" alloys?

Cheers

I'm building a sliding pillar 2B at the moment as well and have gone for 15" 8.25J ET0.

Went for the zero offset as I wanted the wide stance look and so there is definitely no problem with them hitting the sliding pillar spring etc.

I'm not using the standard metal arches at back though, having some 12" wide black locost arches delivered later this week and had to buy some 10" wide fronts.

Cheers

Tony

IMG_5504_zps7d4df52a.jpg

IMG_5505_zps88a94c94.jpg

IMG_5508_zps00806c5b.jpg

IMG_5511_zpsc0d605c6.jpg

Guest peter2b2002

you will get better grip with some rubber on those v nice rims tony

on my 2b i have 6" clearance from just in front of the rear wheel arch and 5" under the front cross bar

peter2b

Tony,

Looking at the pics of your front wheel arch, it looks like the outer edge of the wheel extends beyond the outer face of the wheel arch.

It may be the angle of the shot, but I think you may have to reposition the arch so that the wheel/tyre sits within the outer edge of the arch, (as in the rear arch photo).

Just a heads up.

Nice looking alloys

Guest charliemi16

Thanks guys,

So, it looks like 15s are the way to go.

Tony, thanks for the pics. Nice rims. Is anyone else running a similar set up, and if so, what does it handle and steer like? I'm more concerned with the feel than the look, so want to get it right.

I'd be really interested to hear as many opinions as possible on this, and know what other people are using.

Thanks again

you will get better grip with some rubber on those v nice rims tony

peter2b

Thanks Peter - the rims are now shod with 205 50 15 Yoko's (the pics are from a couple of months ago)

Tony,

Looking at the pics of your front wheel arch, it looks like the outer edge of the wheel extends beyond the outer face of the wheel arch.

It may be the angle of the shot, but I think you may have to reposition the arch so that the wheel/tyre sits within the outer edge of the arch, (as in the rear arch photo).

Just a heads up.

Nice looking alloys

Thanks for the heads up Al - The front arches are just 'plonked' in position at the moment. I'll be getting the support bars triangulated-welded and powdercoated before I go drilling any holes in the cycle wings so will make sure they are covering everything they should be.

-

No worries about the pics Charlie - I realize mine is quite an unusual setup so didn't think it would help you too much. I'll butt out of your thread now and hopefully the guys who already have theirs on the road with more traditional setups can help you out with what you're looking for.

Cheers

Tony :)

Guest nippynick

Having run a tape over the underside the dims are 95mm to the lowest point of the sump 75mm to the lowest point of the gearbox and 100mm to the lowest point of the foot wells. I hope this helps. Nick.

Guest charliemi16

Thanks for all the advice guys. As always, really appreciate the time and effort taken.

Tony, not at all, it's been very useful, thanks. I'm sure you're car is going to turn out great, and look the nuts too!

Nick, thanks for the measurements. I'll compare to mine, and see what I get.

Thanks again guys. If anyone else wants to join in, and tell me what combo they're running, I'm all ears

• 5 weeks later...
Guest charliemi16

Afternoon all,

Having tried a few different wheel combos on the car, I'm still struggling to find anything that fits the bill, and is the same, front and rear. So;

1. Can someone please tell me what the width and offset of the wheels supplied by RHE are? I assume they're the same wheel front and rear? And, do you need spacers at all?

2. If anyone is running anything different, could you please share it with me? Width, offset, spacers or not etc would be really useful.

I'm going to do some calcs tonight to try and figure it out, but I always appreciate the advice from you guys on here.

Thanks

Charlie