Courier Costs ?

Guest old AL

After recent purchase of a 7 replica with Granada standard 1980s 5 stud 14 inch alloys I fancied fitting a set of Minilites, looked everywhere for 14inch 5 stud minilites suitable for Ford Granada hubs on the internet No chance !!! The only way being, made to order direct from factory, I wasn't really keen on that, so spent hours trawling adverts for a refurbished set. Found a set of 5 for a very good price in South Wales, after pricing delivery firms for pick up and delivery, highest £340, (the wheels aren't costing that much!!!) lowest £140, until recently I was getting classic British motorcycles transported country wide for £120, so has inflation gone up dramaticly in the last few months or am I asking the wrong courier firms ? Don't suppose any South Wales members are coming anywhere near the Lakes, or even Lancashire for a holiday or business in the future, I'm quite happy to pay, but not fleeced by courier firms !!!!! Regards to All AL

I know its a while ago Simon, but remember the Cobra I bought from you ? that cost me £95 transported from your house to my front door, and that was the transporter meeting me at my specified time at your house, loading the Cobra, and following me home. Then you look at £340 for 5 loose (tyreless) wheels more than likely picked up at some date when the courier is somewhere near the pick up point on another pick up job anyhow !!!! some one is taking the p*** :crazy:

Thanks for all the input guys,some might be thinking "whats he moaning about, he's getting the wheels for much less than new,so whats a bit of courier expense matter".I might have thought more that way but I'm not 100% certain the wheels will fit, some confusion with the off set (internet states 38mm) but not easy to do by ruler and straightedge by two people in conversation over the phone. So I might finish up after a large outlay of cash with a set of wheels to put on Ebay and I'm sure the number of people in the country looking for Minilite's for a 1980's Granada will be measured in 1 or 2 (or none)

Guest tiggertom

i got a ford st 170 engine with everything on except gearbox £50 from Durham to doncaster on a pallet with a palletforce firm next day delivery only problem his tail lift had broke just as well a mate was here to help lift pallet with me

Had a look at Paisley Freight web site this morning they have a table of tariffs regarding wheel transporting, 5 wheel rims less than 17inch £31, no mention of distance ? surely this price can't be nation wide.??? I'll ring them tomorrow (closed today!!)Best £15 pound I ever spent joining the club and a very helpful set of guys, cheers lads and many thanks.

Yes, Paisley freight don't charge by the mile, simply by the load. Used them a couple of time.

And yes, I still have a tear in the eye watching the cobra being carted away....................

Tried ringing Paisley Freight numerous times over a full morning, engaged all the time!!!! After Googling Alloy Wheel couriers, Rang D.C.S. (Blackburn) answer right away, very helpful,5 alloy wheels nationwide, next day delivery £37:95 (this included £300 insurance) They picked the wheels up (Cardiff area) just after lunch Thursday, delivered on my doorstep 11:00 am Friday morning,(West Cumbria) less than 24 hours, excellent service !!!! The wheels are genuine Magnesium, and I was surprised how light they are,(inexperienced with alloy wheels!!!!) someone has since told me Magnesium is not used today with alloy wheels as it is too expensive, is that true ?