Pinto Fan Temp ?

maccavvy

After many moons not being happy with the cooling on the kit finally sorted it

Got an alloy rad on there now 2.5 times thicker than the old Cortina one.

Been out today and works a treat but what is a good temp for the fan to cut in at.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-EK-EG-VTEC-92-00-ALLOY-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-/180905091677?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACivic&hash=item2a1ec8a25d

I used one of these. its quite tall but narrow. a polo one wouldn't fit due to sliding pillars intruding on engine bay.

let me know if you decide to go polo I have an inline rad cap going spare for a fee.

the pipework was fun to sort but its all in there now.

Guest mower man

I have run a cosworth /orion stat for a good length of time 82Deg with fan in at 92 degs its had some pretty hard work in its time but been ok , radiator is mk2 rs 2000/ capri and has been well up to the job , it s showing it's age [getting on for20 years ]so I mlooking at an alloy replacment 200658045585 on e-bay is at good money and should fit easily and do the job ,pinto's do not like to be too hot or h/gskt probs may follow ,btw engine is giving approx 145 bhp and good mpg mower man :clapping:

My own personal thoughts are that if you're running for example a 88degC stat, then your fan switching temps must be above this temp setting.....so in this instance I'd be running 90C "off" and 95C "on" fan switch...to give an average operating temp around 92/93ish....... Also the hotter the radiator is, the easier it gives up it's thermal energy so the less work your fan has to do to bring it down in temperature.

At 13psi radiator cap pressure, water boils at 120C so you're plenty far enough away from boiling point to be safe.

Having your fan "off" temp lower than your thermostat set point would work your fan hard as it would take ages to come down to the switch off temp because the coolant isn't flowing due to the stat being closed / closing.

• Like 1