Hot Legs

Guest landrovereditor

Guest landrovereditor

I know today was a bit warm, but when I had driven my 2B home from work, only 12 miles, we had barbecued legs for tea, mine!

Any ideas, tricks, tips for keeping the old legs cool?

Dangling them out of the cockpit is difficult but may work.

thanks

John B)

Guest Troy Halliday

I suppose you could rig up a couple of 120mm computer fans to a switch so they blow air on ya legs. Other than that I don't know what to suggest. ;)

i'm sure this has been around on this board before somewhere, but i couldnt find it.

it depends where you think the heat is coming from. wre had a problem with hot legs, mainly because there was no way of blocking the hot air flowing through the engine and the heater matrix into the passengers side of the car. even without the fan switched on the air rushing through the engine is very hot. we did solve it by packing the heater with foam on a long trip, only to get stuck in traffic and have to hastily whip the bonnet off and throw the foam away!

paul

i'm sure theres a thread though on here about this, but you may have more luck searching than me.

hi

you do not say if the heat is from the engine or the heater as on our car

you can fit an inline water valve to turn off the supply flowing through the heater

matrix

if it is build up of engine heat you can try insulating the bulk head etc

hth

swan

Guest graham dockerill
B) I have'nt got a heater fitted and in this weather it,s still very hot on the legs. I think the only answer is leave the bonnet off, prehaps replacing it with a net of some kind

Guest MikeD318

How about straping frozen ready meals to your legs? Nice and cool and by the time you get to your destination, you've got something to eat too. :D :lol: B)

John,

have you modified the firewall to make a good seal with the bonnet? otherwise all the heat from the engine bay will be blown through the gap heating your tootsies.

I had to add about 1 1/2" of stainless on top of the supplied firewall to get it to meet the bonnet.

I have had no problems with hot legs.

Les

Guest Andy Rathbone

rather than mess with your heater or add bits to your firewall and there are definatly better ways to heat a ready meal, just simply drive your car naked reduces weight and wind resistance and you cant beat the feeling of the wind in your hair, thats why we all drive open tops isnt it ? :D

Guest landrovereditor

Thanks Les, good idea. I will try and make a better seal between bonnet and firewall.

Don't know about the ready meals, if it's only a short journey and they are not cooked Sam and Ella might be at the end of the trip.

Guest chris brown
I have had no problems with hot legs
With your short legs you probably can’t reach the hot bits. :p :p After doing 500 miles yesterday I can assure you it’s not just the tunnel side and the foot panel that gets hot the centre chassis members also get to hot to hold. Tip don’t drive in shorts :p (take that whichever way you want Bill) :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gizmo

For what its worth....

I had the same problems (along with the usual overheating and blowing water out the overflow.

My four main resolutions were :-

1. fitted a non-viscous fan water pump (gave me more space between pump and rad) and a Citroen AX diesel electric fan (9 blades, 9000 rpm , £15 at scrappie). stopped the over-heating dead !

2. Wrapped the exhausts in ThermoTec or whatever its called (exhaust bandage).

3. Took out carpets and sealed (silicone) EVERY gap between engine compartment & footwell.

4. Made air-scoop to fit front-near-side under wing, and piped the fresh(er) air into the cockpit.

I do not have a heater and don't need one. The temperature is ok all-year round now.

Feel free to contact me.

Hope this helps.