Wishbone Conversion. Help!

Guest Goldie

Guys,

I'm interested in this subject to upgrade next winter, and was hoping to fit the RH wishbones that you can buy from Lolocost, as asked earlier by Goldie.

If welding the jigtec brackets to the chassis is no problem, should it be just as easy to attach the RH wishbones the same way ? I can't see an imeediate problem, but nobody seems to do it this way and I would like to know why not.

Cheers for any info, B) B)

The RH wishbone setup uses a modified chassis, with lateral U shaped & (I think) RHS tubes.

Jigtec's was designed to fit the unmodded chassis, and gives a much wider track using a standard Sierra rack, so the track is identical to the Sierra.

Also the upper & lower RH wishbones are much closer together, so the dummy McP strut is almost flush with the top of the hub.

Jigtec's is about 5 inches (guesstimate) long.

It may work, but make sure you measure closely before committing.

One other slight hitch.... RS has previously refused to supply wishbones separately.....has he changed his mind?

Bob T.

Sorry John,

I just re-read your mail.

The wishbones supplied by LOLOCOST are for the Ron Champion design, not the 2B. Youd need to make sure that you can find a suitable rack to suit the overall width of the wishbones + chassis, and get or make a suitable dummy McP strut.

Get a copy of Ron's book from the library & check all dimensions.

Bob.

Guest Petemate

Hi All

I am very grateful to all of you for the input, assistance & patience while I've taken various piccies, dimensions etc. I've had another long, critical look at the car and decided to leave it sliding, mostly as the side panels are fitted - they are in the way at their front locations - and they are NOT coming off again. :ph34r: I know I could probably carefully cut them back at the lower fronts, but I feel now I'm so close to getting her running the "finish it" bug is really biting. :p

Who knows, maybe at some point in the future I'll have a re-think. :unsure: I thought that during the build was a good time to modify it, but even when it is finished it seems not much more work than now to get at the bits other than removal of the front infills and dressing back the side panels. ^_^

All the vaious designs and ideas will remain in my collection - thanks again chaps. :)

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Petemate

Hi Andy

Cheers mate. This afternoon I will aspire to the dizzy heights of fitting the overhauled inj head, in good nick except for the cam. :( My original cam is virtually unmarked, so that will go in place. :) One good head from the two.... ;)

Then all I need to get it running is to finish off the filler neck/vent etc, fit a new oil filter, in with the oil, fit a battery and - Bingo! (sorry to go "off thread", but I'm getting a bit excited now :p )

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Goldie

Chaps

I bit the bullet at the Newark show on Sunday and purchased a set of wishbones from the Luego stand. The guy on the stand (Grant) was very helpful and gave me a good deal on the bones, brackets and strut conversion inserts. He's also emailing me some info on the geometry that I should be aiming to achieve.

So hopefully in the next week or two I should have a rolling chassis. I can't wait to start making some progress. :D

The next thing im going to have to decide is whether to go with a pinto or vauxhall :huh:

I'll keep you posted with progress on the wishbones.

Cheers

Adam

Guest rcarsv

Hi Goldie i purchassed the luego wishbones a couple of months ago they work very well but if you are using there lower ball joints the taper is different to the seirra one's.The uprights have to be machined to match or get the ball joints turned to match, the angle is 5 degrees aside (10 degrees inclusive).I did mine myself it only takes about half an hour so it shouldn't cost alot if you have to get them done by someone unless you know someone with a lathe then it's free or a beer.Also the top wishbones are handed I asume this is for the caster angle ?.

Guest Goldie

rcarsv

Cheers for that bit of info. Now I know I can get that sorted beforehand. Luckily I know some one that has all the equipment, I'm sure he'll help me out.

Am I right in saying that the bottom ball joints to fit the bottom Luego bones are Maxi??

The chap on the stand picked me out the set of top and bottom wishbones so I presume he picked out a left and right hander!!! Can't say I noticed they were different though, I'll have to check that out.

Did you go for the long or short ones??

What about fitting. Did you modify the chassis so that you could fit the wishbones in their standard form or did you mod the wishbones to suit the chassis?? I thought it'd be nice if I could make the chassis suit the wishbones, that way if I ever need to replace them for any reason I can just slot a new set straight on.

Have you got any pics of your conversion? I'd be interested to see it.

Cheers

Adam

Guest rcarsv

Hi Goldie i couldn't notice the difference either it's when you turn one only over it seams to move the upright forwards or backwards depending on the way you first fit them. I used the standard track because my car is an early one not 2b.As i have no spaceframe to mount to i have had to make my own subframe to fit in the chassis. I would mod the chassie to suit the wishbones, the lower ball joint had rover on the box can not remember the part number but luego supplied them.If i could work out how to put pics on i would but i don't think mine would help you. If you have to alter your shocks i used dampertech they were very helpfull can have them made to any length or other spec required.(gazshocks). Richard.