Wishbone Conversion. Help!

Guest Goldie

Guest Goldie

I was going to purchase a wishbone conversion last week from Jigtec, but obviously this didn't happen due to their recent misfortune (feel sorry for Bob, when I spoke to him on the phone he seemed to be a very nice chap).

Does anyone know of anywhere else where I can get a similar kit or am I going to have to make my own??

Any help would be really appreciated, I can't progress the build any further until I get the front suspension sorted.

Cheers

Adam

Guest Petemate

Hi All

I'm in the same boat. I was just in the process of designing an application form to pass to the accou... benefa... wife (anything costing a few hundred pounds needs an application in triplicate SHE said :( ) when I saw the bad news, so I may now be stuck with pillock for a while. :angry:

Seriously, is there any chance that another company may produce such a conversion in the future?

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Andy Rathbone

Pete and Adam,

especially pete,canyou not copy mine??? you did come and take photos. and you are more then welcome to do more, i can weld a little. if between the 3 of us we cant copy what i already have there is somthing wrong!

How hard can it be??? :lol: :lol: if we do this it will also be a lot cheeper, so you should have less problems getting it approved by your Accountants :unsure: :D

give us a call pete has my number, if not PM me and we can sort somthing out :D

Guest rcarsv

Hello pete you might rember me i spoke to you about wishbone convertion on my s7 seirra kit rh no help. But after a phew phone calls luego were happy to sell the wishbones and bushes the do a wide track and standard track. If you have the sales broucher from rh it shows the way they do it. The way they do it looks easy it's just box 2.5 wall, section welded to the tubing, you just have to get the wheel parallel to the rear and the caster correct which should be about 5 1/2 degrees.Luego were also happy to give advice. Doing it this way there is no worries welding wishbones.Rh said it couldn't be done nothing is impossible.Richard. I hope this might help you Goldie.

Guest Petemate

Hi Richard

I do indeed recall our telecom. Thanks for the input.

The problem may be that the 2b sliding pillar chassis tapers toward the front. I'll have a chat with Luego at Newark re the 'bones etc. Also, mine is the SS chassis - could be a weld prob, but if I remember mild steel can be welded to SS with a competent welder. I have now had a GOOD LOOK at Andy's car (thanks Andy for your hospitality :wub: - I've checked and I'm working 30th so I should be able to rush in the door before closing... :) ) and although there seems to be a lot of work it looks feasible.

Are you going to Newark? As far as I know there is a convoy from the Reading area on the Sat. B)

Cheers,

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest rcarsv

Hi pete ss can be welded to steel but ss box could be the way to go but i think tig welding can only be done on ss to ss but mild to ss is not a problem on mig.If the chassis is tapered the wide track might be the way to go to keep it the same track. Richard.

Guys,

the JIGTEC conversion uses 8 off U shaped brackets which weld to the slimy pillar chassis rails top & bottom. Ideally the wishbones should pivot at 90 degs to the long line of the chassis, but the tapered chassis seems to make no difference, it still handles 200% better than a slider.

It uses the standard Sierra rack, which gives a very wide stance, ie same as a Sierra, about 4" wider than a sliding pillar setup, but it does match the rear.

You could get just the brackets made up from S/S & weld them to your S/S chassis with suitable wire. I reckon your main hurdle is the extended tube from the top of the hub, to take the top ball joint. They have appeared in all sorts of lengths, depending on how far apart the top & bottom wishbones are, & the taper must match whatever ball joint is being used.

I'll try & post some pics when I get home.

PS I have two standard hubs and a reconned Sierra rack which I would sell if you go that route.

Bob T.

Guest Andy Rathbone

I'm not comming to the newark show , thanks for the invite but i want to spend the time building, to try and finish it before summer does, again :boohoo:

as for the length of the upright tube mine was crafted (thanks Dad) so the wishbones remain parralelllele (spelling) as they go up and down, so the camber doesnt change as you go over the bumps ;)

anyone wanting to measure take piccies and listen how i did it send me a pm and we will sort it out, kettles on :D

Guest Petemate

Hi Bob

I look forward to piccies. There is a local chap who supplies me with odds and sods sheet metal-wise who is a good fabricator. I think I can get him to make me up the brackets reasonable, then I can get them welded on. The only thing that concerns me is the contact area of the weld, i.e. flat to tube. Andy's looks nice and substantial, but are SVA happy with this?

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Goldie

Does anyone know if the standard RH wishbones would fit if I welded some brackets on like the jigtec conversion uses?? i.e are they at the right angle to match up the chassis as is tapers inward?

Has anyone else used RH wishbone to do the conversion??

Cheers for all your help and suggestions guys.

Adam

I just wondered if this might be of use to those of you wishing to convert to double wishbones, since the demise of RS Jigtec.

At Newark yesterday we got talking to the other Bob (from the company down south that was an agent for Jigtec) and got around to the subject of a company local to Jigtec who we had spoken to a couple of times called Sids Tuning Shop. I believe that they run the rolling road that travels to some of the kit car shows.

According to Bob B, Sids Tuning Shop initially developed the wishbone conversion, but due to various reasons Jigtec took the project on and sold quite a few of them.

Since Jigtec have gone T*ts up he understood that Sid's were due to start producing the wishbones themselves again. I cant vouch for Sids work, because they've never done any for us, but they did seem genuinely helpful and friendly when we met them at the Jigtec collection day.

It may be worth a call though to see what they have to say?

Sids Tune Shop

Henry House, Springhill Rd

Walsall West Midlands

WS1 2LN

Tel: 01922 644123

Nowt to do with me etc etc...just passing on the info/rumour!

Swan :rolleyes:

I'd agree that Sid is a real nice guy, but....

I waited 2 years after first ordering the wishbones from Sid. I chased him every week, & constantly got told that they would definitely be ready next week.

They never were.

Thats when Sid sold manufacturing rights to Bob @ JIGTEC. so he could concentrate on his engine tuning work.

Bob.

PS My son is away at present & taken his diggy camera with him....be patient

for the piccies.