Coolant Flush

Guest danny_samb

Air finds the highest point so you need to have an opening at that point. If your radiator is below the engine this can be hard if you haven't put a bleed valve in anywhere else. You can (carefully) jack your car up and run it for a while so the rad is the highest point allowing the air to come out.

Many people (me included) have a house radiator bleed valve. I have a coolant pipe that is quite high on the engine and i have a t-piece into the copper pipe with the valve at the top, higher than anything else. Then i simply fill the rad with the valve open, run up to temp until the water starts to come out and then close the valve off. job done. Just needs a few bits of copper pipe, a t-piece and a valve. all of which will be a couple of pounds.

hth

Just a point about coolant. If like me you have an older engine/cooling system you shouldn't use the later pink antifreeze (oat) it can react with any brass/copper or lead solder within the system and you should only use the older blue antifreeze.

Baz

Talking of pink antifreeze it appears to eat thermostats.

My wifes car ran cold the first winter we had it, temp guage just off the cold end.

I replaced the thermostat and engine temp back to normal and engine management light off.

Ran great through the year until the next winter when the same happened.

I have now replaced the thermostat 4 times in 5 years (waiting for this winter)

Has this happened to anyone else?

P.S. this is the first car we had with pink antifreeze