Gbs Zero Hood

Guest Roy P

Is there a right and wrong way to put the hood up. Mine is so tight that I cannot do it on my own, do you put up the pole supports first or do the clip the hood all around and then push the supports into position, do you clip the front or rear of the hood first, any information would be gratefully received, thanks

Guest Ian & Carole

Ours is a 2b but the same in reality regarding the hood.

I usually fit the poppers around the ear but not the ones by your elbow.

Then I fit the ones around the screen, then the roof bars and finally the poppers by your elbow.

Just my method but works for me.

Guest Jameslark

I have two problems with my 2b, one almost impossible to get on by oneself unless its been in the airing cupboard warming up and two I can't get in and out with it on. Therefore have a half hood or just get wet!!!!

Seriously when I have managed to get it on, I put screen poppers on first, then back then sides.

The frame is two part and meant both for support and tensioning. So I erect the hood with the tensioning bar only partly in position, just behind the rollover bar, and the main frame forward over the seats. Front and back of the hood poppers can then be easily fitted. The main hoop is then lifted backward toward its proper position, keeping the tensioning bar in its proper position in line with the rear hood seam. The main bar can then finally be pulled back further till the tension is good and held with a strap/rope/luggage strap/etc to keep the tension.

OK, I didn't like the bars RH supplied and remade them in thinner pipe changed the bends and lengths a bit and did a new pivot point, after the hood was fitted. The luggage strap shown round the rollover bar and main hood frame is the one that does the tensioning.

Nigel

post-21-0-00594500-1388694215_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-69776400-1388694229_thumb.jpg

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. I tried both ways, windscreen fixing first and rear panel fitting first. Neither way was easy and it just needed a bit of grunt to do it. In the end I went to Softbitsforsevens and had a half hood made. Works a treat and takes about a minute to put up.

Guest peter2b2002

some one said they lifted the bonnet up (crock type) put the hood on then lowered the bonnet to tighten it, don't have this problem as i use a surrey with side doors or 1/2 doors

peter2b

Guest steve8274

On my zero, I put the roof roughly in position, attach front to screen then attach the rear. After this, I then use the brackets to put the tension in. I got rid of the rubbish tie straps supplied and I use a ratchet strap I purchased from aldi/lidl. Seems to tension it a lot better and easier.

Also it is a lot harder to do when material is cold

Hope this helps

Steve

Guest oshiney2

get rid mate and get a half roof made like whiz and i done in Scotland cost us around a £100 and i think it was about £30 for half doors to match they work grt and put on in 2 mins