Which Oil ?

Guest Wozzer

Guest Wozzer

Hi All,

I have a 2L pinto, used to be injection, with twin 40's and an FR31 cam.

After doing some reading on oils, do I stick to the Haynes reccomended one or do I put in a synthetic oil...... :wacko: .......I am confused after reading the Burton catalogue.

The engine has done about 85k and has not been run for 2 years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wozzer

Guest Cantbearsed

Wozzer,

I'd go for the normal oil suggested by Haynes or and even cheaper A.N.Other brand with the same SAE rating as you are more or less going through the running in process again. If you plump for Castrol, you may well have some expensive leaks! If you go for El Cheapo Cornershop brand,who cares if you've forgot to put the sump plug back in...?

Synthetic oil is no good for running in, so I'd say avoid it 'til you are 100% sure of your engine, then flush and change over!

Now sit back and wacth as I am shot down, flamed and burned by those who know about the black art of oil technology.... :rolleyes:

Dale.

Guest Bazwaz

Before i switched to Vauxhall power i had a 2.1 Vulcan block with twin 40's etc, they recommended running in with a cheap 20/50 for 500 miles and then use Castrol Magnatec.

Barry.

Guest boggie

After running the engine in using a quality standard oil I've always used Halfords synthetic (it is loads cheaper than that bloody Mobil 1!). After 8 years I took the head off to change a failed valve seal, just out of interest I checked the bores with an internal micrometer and there was absoutely no sign of wear whatsoever but to be fair I have only covered 8000 miles :rolleyes: