Gbs Zero Mazda Driveshaft Lengths

Guest ali2992

Guest ali2992

Hi guys,

I've got a local comany that will refurb and cut/lengthen my driveshafts to go into my zero, all I need is the measurements, naturally I will be measuring the lengths required myself once i put the diff in etc but it would be helpful if I had some figures to compare against to make sure that I'm not way out before I send them off. I've asked GBS (cheeky I know but you never know until you try) and they won't reveal, so with that in mind does anyone with a Zero Mazda happen to know their driveshaft lengths?

Alastair

I plan to do some work on mine Thursday, I can try get a quick measurement for you.

If you have the diff in place and the wishbones/hub arrangements in place already it would be easier to get a tape measure in than it would under mine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MilesKit

Hi Alastair,

I have just joined the RHOcar group. I am in a similar position to you I think... I will need to shorten drive shafts and half shafts.

I have my GBS Zero Mazda frame in the garage (finally), and the engine/gearbox on blocks. I have taken forever stripping down the Mazda donor carefully, and have every piece squirrelled away and the bodywork disposed of (keeping proof and vin etc, to request an age related plate etc.)... Basically I don't know where to start....But I do know that the drive shaft and 1/2 shafts need altering, but don't know the lengths or where to go. I work in Shirley during the week and home to Somerset at weekends. If you have the lengths and a name of an outfit around Birmingham that can do the work, that would be great. I would probably fit the diff and engine before final measuring which could be a while maybe, as I have attached nothing to the frame yet! (don't even have an engine hoist).

I am just making the LSdiff and 1.8i engine/gearbox nice (wire brush, and trying to decide on type of engine paint) Then belts and tensioners and seals from MX5parts.com. Basically anything else than really starting, as it's difficult to know where to begin.

Miles

Guest ali2992

Hi,

I haven't had them done yet but the company that I found that will cut and refurb and everything is http://driveshaftuk.com/ - the team were very helpful when i spoke to them. As for me, I'm going to wait until I've got the shocks, diff and hubs on so i can drop the car , let it settle and then measure what's needed. I'm still unsure about that though, if i get it wrong then i'm screwed, i know you get a small margin for error but I'm wondering whether it will be worth spending the extra money and having GBS do it. Also, I know the halfshafts have to be modified, I didn't think the main propshaft did?

Alastair

Guest ali2992

Also, have you got the factory build process that gbs use? I plan to work to that - i just remember them telling me "DON'T PUT THE PANELS ON UNTIL EVERYTHING ELSE NEEDED IS DONE" :rofl:

Guest luke2152

I got some new ones made by DRD racing for 100 quid each side. They are somewhat stronger then originals. If I remember right it was -20mm one side and +20mm the other side.

They also shortened my propshaft for 30 quid without balancing (they can't balance). I reckon due to its short length it wont matter but we will see soon

Guest MilesKit

Hi,

Thank for the driveshaftuk.com info, brill will use them when the time comes. yes, like your thoughts on weighing the car down as would be finally when measure lengths.

There isn't a general overview of build from GBS, made me chuckle about "Put the panels on as late as possible". Blogs are a godsend ... speaking of which i have looked at Zach's on a lot - is that WallerZ (above). Also Richard's (zetec) and David's (zetec).

At my work (TRW) the graduates are building a westfield (mazda donor) which is great for me to look in on, and their leader was interested in knowing the same info on a drive shaft/prop shaft company... will pass on the info. And also thanks Luke for DRD racing, web site looks like they could be good to know also.

I know i could go on for ages being new at the kit build, but I feel i need more ready to assemble items around me... can you let me know your choice of bits... eg stock ecu / megasquirt#2 / emerald... GBS shocks with good sprung weight, or Gaz is it? etc

many thanks,

Miles

Guest ali2992

I got some new ones made by DRD racing for 100 quid each side. They are somewhat stronger then originals. If I remember right it was -20mm one side and +20mm the other side.

They also shortened my propshaft for 30 quid without balancing (they can't balance). I reckon due to its short length it wont matter but we will see soon

Was that £100 including cv joints etc?

I know i could go on for ages being new at the kit build, but I feel i need more ready to assemble items around me... can you let me know your choice of bits... eg stock ecu / megasquirt#2 / emerald... GBS shocks with good sprung weight, or Gaz is it? etc

I haven't really thought properly about the ECU yet - it won't be an emerald I know that much, GBS have their own that is supposed to be available soon, so by the time i get around to that part hopefully that will be ready, As for shocks, I got a set of GAZ shocks yesterday from dampertech, either they've had a lot of dealings with zero owners before or they are the GBS suppliers because he asked what car they were going on and as soon as i said Zero Mazda he knew the measurements and everything. I think shocks and driveshafts will give you somewhere to start as with the parts from the donor you can get a lot done with everything you'll have (bar all little bits of course)

Thanks

Alastair

Guest mcramsay

You would be absolutley stark raving mad to run an unbalanced prop. Doesn't really matter what length it is, if you have an unbalanced load rotating at a couple of 1000 rpm you are going to lose your legs when it lets go, or it will rattle your teeth out. The zero transmission tunnel does not offer much protection from the prop. I cannot stress enough how much you shouldn't run an unbalanced prop shaft.

Guest MilesKit

Thanks Alistair, I think I'll also get Gaz shocks from Dampertech, a lot of forum good comments, they seem to definately know the GBS Mazda kit.

Hopefully keep in contact as I go through this build.

cheers,

Miles.

P.S. round about now I wish the last thing I had done before the stipdown, was to fit a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt and use the car starter motor to loosen the bolt! Need to make a tool now.

Guest luke2152

good question, also were they sleeved or friction welded?

They are brand new - made to whatever length and spline pattern you want. No cv joints just the shafts.

And am I mad running an unbalanced prop? No! If the driveshaft is in fact badly unbalanced it will not fail suddenly - would vibrate and give ample warning.

They are brand new - made to whatever length and spline pattern you want. No cv joints just the shafts.

And am I mad running an unbalanced prop? No! If the driveshaft is in fact badly unbalanced it will not fail suddenly - would vibrate and give ample warning.

mad? do it right first time and there is considerably less chance of it going wrong. so any vibration knock or rattle, its a kit you will get them, is less of an omen of impending doom