Pesky Misfiring Pinto

Guest davidimurray

Ok having read your other post I think it's time to go basics !!

Do you have a standard carb and manifold to try.

Also have you took the tops off the carbs and checked that the needle still has the circlip on it cos your post sounds like your running lean on one cylinder hence the AFR on your wide band has gone from 12s to 14.

You say the slides are all moving but not that the needle is moving with it

Guest Chris Russ

Can I suggest you re-check your valve timing as well, My Pinto 2.1 managed to 'jump' a tooth & caused all kind of weird issues with misfiring & fuel mixture!! .....took me ages to find it, having checked everything else first!

Guest mower man

As said basicsand then the head scratching starts ,1 afr at 14 is good ,2 have you checked tappets,3 are you running std plugs ,I ask as I had a drama with a set of 3 electrode plugs having th the gap closed by minute piston contact [ head has been worked ] ,4 rotor arm dizzy cap ,leads ,coil packs ,5 float hieghts on all carbs ,I leave it at that for now mowerman :crazy:

Guest davidimurray

She lives :)

Valve timing and clearances all checked and fine.

Prize to blue for setting me on the right path. Whipped the diaphragm assemblies out of 1 and 2 and noticed that no2 needle was sticking out further than the other. Stripped the needle and found the spacer washer under the circlip missing. Found one in my box of spares, fitted and all good.

Mystery is how has it been fine since I last touched the carbs 200 miles ago?I can only think I missed refitting it and the circlip has been sat on the ledge all this time until it dropped down?