Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

Guest ians2B

Guest ians2B

Hello every one,

Having a bit of trouble with the wiring! Can anyone tell me if every sierra had a fuel pump inertia switch. Mines a '96 2.0l EFI hatch and it seems to be a mishmash of everything.

Also is it normal for virtually none of the wires on the donor EFI subloom not to match in colour with the haynes/Ford wiring diagram ? If it is normal how do I find a wiring diagram that is correct?

Thanks

Guest bloke

my donor was an 87 2l efi glx and had an inertia switch, but not sure about 96?

what stage are you with the engine loom? i found this bit hard too but the eventual sound of it runnin (with lots of good advice to get me there) was more than a reward

if i can help i will

Guest ians2B

I am at the kill myself stage!

Indicators, wipers, lights, etc work.

Think I have spliced the VG loom into the engine mamgement loom correctly.Though if anybody can confirm how they did it that would be brilliant.

My biggest problem is as I said previously my colours don't match with the haynes manual. So I am really thinking do I ignore the colours and assume the routes are rights. An example is I have a small box on the side of the dizzi which has a plug with six wires going in. None of these colours match the Haynes manual.Why is this?

Do you mean '86?

My haynes manual wiring was a bit different from what I actually found, lots of head scratchin. My donor was an '88 GLX as well and had an inertia switch.

Guest timswait

I'm pretty sure that all Sierra's with electric fuel pumps (ie EFi ones) will have an inertia switch. I don't know whether it's an SVA requirement, but it's definitely worth fitting it in the Hood. My Sierra was an E reg and the inertia switch was in the spare wheel well. I think the other place they can hide them is somewhere around the passenger footwell. On the hood I've screwed it to the engine firewall just above the fuebox, remember to fit it pointing the right way.

Tim

remember to fit it pointing the right way.

I don't think it matters where it's fitted, so long as its rigid to the chassis / body. Mine's in the boot. It doesn't matter where it faces either. Try hitting it in your hand and resetting it, you'll soon see that it doesn't matter which direction the forces come from.

Ant

Guest Battery Bill

Ant

Mine's in the boot

Im surprised you admit to fitting anything in your boot :lol: :lol:

Ian

So is ours in the boot that is and as Ant says it does not matter which way you fit it.

Just make sure you dont need to remove tons of stuff if you need to reset it :wacko:

Its in the Boot but with all the tools not easy to get at,Trolley jack 102 toolkit ,ring spaners, ratchet spaners , top ball joint , bottom ball joint. sealed beam, 2nd jack.fuel can. fuses. polish & cloths.large socket set.torch,first aid kit. test meter, various electrical conectors.warning triangle and tow rope.gloves.

Stephen Altwasser