Wrapping

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Does anyone have experience with wrapping a car?

My son bought me a role for Xmas and I intend to have a go when the weather gets warmer, so are there any hints or tips out there, before I mess everything up?

Cheers.

:rolleyes:

Guest tiggertom

i have done front and rear mudguards and boot cover with black carbon, you need hot air gun a credit card or the like extra pair of hands and patience .i just used the cheap stuff which i have got some air bubbles in i am told the M3 wrap is better if you search you tube there are pros showing you how to do it check them out but its not as easy as they make it.

I found quite difficult to get big enough ribbon and a bow for mines. On a more serious note I got mines wrapped professionally to fiddly for my hands I would of ended up wrapped myself. It needs to be heated up to a certain temp as well

Andy

Haven't done a car but I used a variable temperature heat gun on my wrap so that I could adjust to the temperature I needed without melting the wrap! I needed another pair of hands as well. Someone told me to use a hairdrier but I found that was useless. I found that the wrap will creep back where you have had to stretch it when it gets warm again. Just take your time and you should do it!

I wrapped my original dash and found the process quite straight forward. I used a har dryer for the compound curved but have found that over time, the wrap has shrunk back and come away. It is still fine on the flat surface. If I was thinking of doing the rest of the car, I would probably get the experts in to do it, but that is just me. :sorry:

Guest Gargoil

Thanks chaps.

I didn't realise that it may shrink back wherever it gets stretched.

Will have to try and leave plenty where it doesn't show, in an effort to counteract that.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mower man

Not done any but thinking about nose cone ,it worked out cheaper than painting for 2 cycle wings to have a pro do it! mowerman

Edited by mower man

• 1 month later...
Guest Martin.stgeorge

I have done it and it looks very good, you can do a nose cone in 2 parts the top and the bottom. You will have to cut quite a big section of wrap and start front the top stretching it round the edges. Do not use to much heat and do not over stretch it. I did the nose cone twice because of this as the cardon turns white when stretched to much.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2JtdOXmG161Ty

Look at this link or the wrapping. The hardest part was the rear wings. To many curves. Some of the panels like the scuttle and bonnet do not need much hear if any heat at all.

Take your time, do one side at a time and make sure you work in an very clean area.

Hope these helps.

Martin

Thanks Martin

I havent had time to start yet but one useful tip I noticed on the 3M site was to pre stretch when you're going over any radius edges. That way, when you reheat, it reverts back to it's normal size so covers more evenly and wont shrink.

Again, I haven't tried it yet but looking forward to the frustration and swearing!