Chassis Number

Guest paul thompson

Guest paul thompson

Hi Guys,

I now have my chassis number sorted but need to get it stamped in the chassis,

Does any one have a set of stamps I could borrow in the Leamington Spa area? I could buy a set from machine mart but they want £35 for for both letters and numbers in 8mm size.

Some people use stamps, but I had trouble with them. I have a stainless chassis, and they either didn't mark it, or they dented it. I ended up using an engraver instead.

Ant

Guest paul thompson

Anybody know if you can just rivit a plate on, I can get the guys at work to make me up a plate with the number stamped on and rivit that on. I suppose that would be too easy to change if I were a ringer.

I Belive you need it in two places, one stamped in chassi the other on a plate attached to the car.

Have a look on cheap tool stalls for the stamps, usally only a fiver.

Mitch

Guest minty

I used stamps on a galvinsied plate that came off the Sierra - the stamps were inherited from my dad and were very small - 17 characters about 2mm high - I pop rivetted it to the chassis (just one) - and it passed SVA OK.

No guarantee others will see it the same way though ! :wacko:

Guest chris brown
We had this discussion before 
You only need to stamp it on the chassis, The plate is for a commercial vehicle 

Nearly correct Bill mass produced cars and commercials require a vin plate as well as the vin stamped on the chassis amateur built cars only need the number on the car mine is stamped on the return on the side panel which is riveted to the chassis and was accepted