Live Feed From Fuel Pump

kevin the chicken

I have just got hold of one of those little gadgets to balance out the difference between mismatched fuel gauge and senders to hopefully give some sort of approximation of how much fuel is left in the tank.

Having looked at the instructions it seems simple enough (famous last words) but it needs a live feed when the ignition is on. My question is can I use the live feed from the fuel pump as that is the only thing suitable at the back of the car and it would save running loads of wire elsewhere.

Thanks

Kevin

Guest Gargoil

What is this gizmo you speak of Kevin?

More to the point, do you really need to use it, I seem to get free petrol every time I go round a corner.

Admittedly, a thief (yet to be caught) steals it again as soon as I make it back on to the straight and narrow.............,

If the live feed to the pump is direct from the switched ignition, you should be able to "T" of that for your gizmo power.

Test it with a Volt meter measuring between the pump power and chassis.

As long as you do not have a pressure switch to isolate the fuel pump it should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to make head or tail out of the instructions (appears I may have been sent the wrong ones!) and I found the original manufacturers website. There may be an answer to catching your petrol thief Gargoil. Also available is a daughter board which just clips in the box which dampens the signal so that fuel sloshing around does not give a false reading. It also has a facility for a low level warning light. There are several tuition videos on the set up too. I would put a link to the website if I knew how but you can find it easily enough if you are interested the company name is Spiyda.

Guest peter2b2002

What is this gizmo you speak of Kevin?

More to the point, do you really need to use it, I seem to get free petrol every time I go round a corner.

Admittedly, a thief (yet to be caught) steals it again as soon as I make it back on to the straight and narrow.............,

i've got the same , i think it's some thing i must have fitted when i built it, some little fella must have jumped in the tank and sucks up the fuel when going right then blows it out again going left

peter2b