Approaching Iva Test

paul_r

Hi all,

I am just thinking about getting to the IVA test as the paperwork has been sent to get a date.

Can I drive to the test the night before as I have opted for a morning test slot? or am I only within the law on the day of the test?

I think you're only covered if you drive directly to (and from) the test centre. If you drove there the night before and left the car on-site you've probably be ok but if you're parking in a Travelodge carpark overnight (or anywhere else that's not the test centre), then it's probably risky.

• Like 1

Guest Sevenheaven

I was under the impresssion that you had to trailer it (all 4 wheels off the ground) untill registered Paul.

Carefull mate, better check. give them a call.

Alan.

Guest Ian & Carole

I was under the impresssion that you had to trailer it (all 4 wheels off the ground) untill registered Paul.

Carefull mate, better check. give them a call.

Alan.

Alan

You are allowed to drive to and from the test centre and back again for a retest if needed, if however the tester deems the car "un-road worthy " he car stop you driving it home

I trailered mine to my first test because you never know what you may have missed that could be safety critical, in the unlikely event something went wrong or had an accident on the way, there could be something safety critical you missed!!

We all do our best to get through first time, but realistically it seems to be rare we get through the first time. It is very easy to miss something and as Ian say's if it is not safe you will need a trailer to driver it home (they will impound it until you get one).

I am now re-doing the items the tester picked up from my first test last week, then I plan to drive it to the second test with more confidence that it's safe on the road.

You will of course need to get insurance cover that will be based on your VIN number as you won't have a plate yet.